FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 97 of 106 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

I missed a bunch of hardware on my last order. So I went to Napa then to a hardware store. It is such a waste of time a ripoff buying hardware like this.

Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

We worked on the car from 5P-7:30.
    I installed some new rivnuts, installed wheel well pieces, and caulked the seam. The holes for the rivnuts were nice and snug so I had to tap them in.

Tam worked on the stuff in the left pontoon.

Forgot to mention. I didn't like how these gaskets were installed from DMC so I notched them before I installed them. They fit much better.

My VIN:    6125

I'm still following along and enjoying all the updates. Keep up the great work!

Dealing with all that specialized hardware can be a pain, but it really does go a long way to make the car feel "right". Sucks that it has to be so expensive though, all those little bags from Napa add up quickly.

I must have missed where you said you were normally getting most of your hardware... McMaster? Grainger? Bolt Depot.com also has a lot of stainless hardware in metric sizes in many different lengths for some odd applications. I converted a ton of the standard screws and bolts over to their stainless counterpart, and bolt depot almost always had the correct length and finish I needed.

For the front trunk area I switched over all the access panels screws over to stainless, and they had some nice pan head / fillister head screws in black oxide that have a larger diameter head that help prevent the screws from tearing through the panels, and will cover up any of the holes that might have become enlarged over the years of use.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I love the progress and documentation. Have I mentioned belmetric before? belmetric.com
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I love the progress and documentation. Have I mentioned belmetric before? belmetric.com
    When I did my frame off I bought almost all my hardware from them. I always order double or triple what I needed so now I have a nice Rubbermaid bin organized and full of nice fresh hardware so now I can replace hardware as I take it off for other maintenance and stuff.

In fact I just got another box from them yesterday.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Yeah Andy turned me on to them. I bought all the bolts for my transmission from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm still following along and enjoying all the updates. Keep up the great work!

Dealing with all that specialized hardware can be a pain, but it really does go a long way to make the car feel "right". Sucks that it has to be so expensive though, all those little bags from Napa add up quickly.

I must have missed where you said you were normally getting most of your hardware... McMaster? Grainger? Bolt Depot.com also has a lot of stainless hardware in metric sizes in many different lengths for some odd applications. I converted a ton of the standard screws and bolts over to their stainless counterpart, and bolt depot almost always had the correct length and finish I needed.

For the front trunk area I switched over all the access panels screws over to stainless, and they had some nice pan head / fillister head screws in black oxide that have a larger diameter head that help prevent the screws from tearing through the panels, and will cover up any of the holes that might have become enlarged over the years of use.
    Thanks Mark. Yeah I also restore old metric motorcycles so I have bought from all of those places over the years. The problem is when you have something you want to assemble immediately but don't have those fasteners you need. That is when I find myself running to a local place.
    Normally I just order fasteners from D-go as part of a bulk order. Even if it is more expensive from them I just don't have time to mess around with trying to find a suitable replacement.

Worked on the car from 3-7 today. I cleaned the left rear quarter before installing. Lots of signs of someone doing,...or trying to do dent repairs.

Page 97 of 106 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast