FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 68 of 106 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Cool pliers.
    Yeah I spent 20 years not having these. Then one day I saw a set of three sizes in Harbor F. Money well spent. Game changer for pulling off rubber hoses in tough to reach places.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Tonight after work we decided to work on snapped off bolts removal. We were tempted to just assemble the transmission and work on the broken bolts later. I am really glad we didn't. You'll see why later so here we go.

Bolt #1. Clutch slave mounting bolt. Whacked the bolt with a hammer, clamped on vise grips, heated the bell housing, wiggled the bolt back and forth starting with tiny movement at first then more.
    One down three to go.

Bolt #2. I think this one hold on the sheetmetal plate that holds the flywheel sensor. Heated the bell housing, drilled with LH drill bits. No movement. Tried and easy-out. I've never had luck using these.
    I ended up just drilling bigger and bigger until I got to the correct size for a M7 Helicoil.

With the hole tapped I was able to install a Helicoil. I have had a Helicoil back out while loosening a bolt before so I like to put a spot of thread locker on the threads.

Bolt #3....the SOB....
    I did a horrible job center drilling the bolt. Not off to a good start. Then I accidentally drilled through the transmission half. Ugh.....
    Around this time my wife walked up while I was huffing and puffing. She calmly looked at the situation and started trying to get what was left of the bolt out with a punch (which I had already tried). In the end we just ended up drilling out the boss until the remains of the bolt were gone.

The wife vapor blasted the flywheel, measured the pin reveal, then drove out the pins.
    We were going to just blast the flywheel and call it good but now we can see that there is some corrosion damage on the flywheel so it needs to be turned down some. That will get dropped off tomorrow.

This rubber flap was one of the few parts on the car that I thought we wouldn't need to replace but upon further inspection we could see the rubber was cracked and failing. So off it comes. The rivets just crumbled away when I tried to dril them out.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    The wife vapor blasted the flywheel, measured the pin reveal, then drove out the pins.
    We were going to just blast the flywheel and call it good but now we can see that there is some corrosion damage on the flywheel so it needs to be turned down some. That will get dropped off tomorrow.

Had my flywheel done spring of 23 at a auto value for a little over a hundred bucks. Remember the step has to be 20 thousandth.

Dave B.

My VIN:    6125

I haven't commented in this thread much, but I am following along and look forward to each update. Thanks for continuing to document the process in such great detail as well as the hurdles you've encountered along the way. This is one of the few threads that keeps me coming back to DMCTalk, so keep up the great work!

Page 68 of 106 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 78 ... LastLast