FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Oh I forgot. I also installed the fuel distributor with a new oring. I put some clear synthetic grease on the o-ring area for sealing and to prevent the bare metal from rusting. I installed the fuel distributor with some new SS screws with copper anti-seize of course.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

You can be forgiven for worrying something might break. The reverse lockout roll pin is the thing that might fail but I've never heard of one failing.

Once you get the hang of driving the car you'll seldom mash the shifter into the lockout. Lifting the shifter as it's moved left is easy. You may want to replace the old pin now as a "while in there" job. Just be sure it's secure/tight.

Glad you smoothed out the situation between you two.

And thanks to both of you for sharing the fine journalism and photo work. It's a very nice thread to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    It has been a challenge....
    She was up top trying the movement of the shift lever. I got up and saw her yanking on the lever trying to make it go into reverse and was horrified.
    I yelled at her "What the Hell are you doing!" "You're going to break something!"
    Yeah...not cool. She stormed off and left.
    Ugh.....we later talked about it. I of course apologized. She said she wasn't yanking on the lever even though it looked that way to me.
    The struggle is real.....
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks Rich

My VIN:    2883

Just wanted to say what a great job you’re doing. I’m doing a similar resto with my car so I appreciate the hard work you’re doing. Thanks for sharing your progress, keep it up!
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDMC View Post
    Just wanted to say what a great job you?re doing. I?m doing a similar resto with my car so I appreciate the hard work you?re doing. Thanks for sharing your progress, keep it up!
    Thanks AussieDMC.
    I feel like a blog or forum like this is the best media platform for sharing this type information.
    I have friends that are professionals in media, advertising, etc. And we have joked about how I should have done YouTube videos with my wife doing most of the work, her and I arguing,.etc. We probably could have had enough views to be making some money off this. Oh well. If I can help someone else out by posting on here it's worth it.

We worked on the car for six hours yesterday (Saturday).
    We have been focused on the drivetrain and frame. I decided to jump back on working on the body. There are jobs that are a lot easier to do while the engine and frame is removed from the car. My wife removed the louvered engine cover hinges, the engine compartment light switch holder+bar, and worked on replacing the power antenna. While in the left pontoon she found the metal tank in there so she removed that for reconditioning. Sure nobody is going to ever see it but why not just fix it up.
    For the life of me I can't understand why DMC uses S.S. bolts with regular nuts. What a mess! I managed to find a couple S.S. nuts and washers for the wife to use on the power antenna mounting bracket.

While she was working on that I went to work on the engine bay. While working we kept backing into each other. It was pretty funny. I started chasing the threads on the rivnuts but after doing one and testing it with a bolt I decided not to do any more. The bolt fit kind of loose. I have been suspicious of my tap and die set not being sizes correctly for a while. I tested a rivnut with a bolt. The bolt went in fine but the tap was cutting threads. It's official my taps....or at least this one, is a bit oversized. So I cleaned the rest of the rivnuts with a wire brush.

I had one rivnut that spun during disassembly and one that the bolt snapped off in. So I re-set the spinning rivnut and replaced the one with a broken bolt in it. My tool didn't go down small enough so I had to use a different style tool. It is slower but I actually like this option better.

I moved the hardware for mounting the antenna and my wife got frustrated with me because she wasn't sure how to put it back together. So I helped her figure it out. Also the antenna bracket had adjustments for the antenna with slotted holes on the base and oversized hole on top. I powered up the antenna so I could extend it a few inches for proper positioning in the car. We lined it up and locked everything down. Then we tested the antenna again just for fun.

I removed some more parts for reconditioning.

Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 ... LastLast