FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    It has stiff bristles in there. I bought it on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Neat tool.

How would you rate overall how well the tool works?

Here is a link for info on it and how it works with a video. Both metric and SAE available.

https://threadwizard.us/

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Neat tool.

How would you rate overall how well the tool works?

Here is a link for info on it and how it works with a video. Both metric and SAE available.

https://threadwizard.us/
    I only used it a few times but it worked great.

We stopped by the shop today and filled up the transmission. Man this is the easy way to fill a gearbox!
    Tipped it up to check the input shaft seal. So far no drips

Still no leaks so we installed the transmission mounts and installed the transmission onto the engine. This never goes easy it seems. I couldn't imagine trying to do it laying under the car. 🫤

Next we pulled the spark plugs out, hooked up a pressure gage, hooked the starter up to a booster pack, and turned the engine over to see if it would pump oil.
    We cranked it over quite a while with no results. Then I remembered that I only dumped like 1/2 a quart of oil into the engine so far. Duh. So I dumped six quarts in, hooked the starter to a battery and cranked it over. Nothing! Now I'm getting worried. I decided to fill the oil pump with oil through the pressure sending unit port by using a syringe. As you may guess this made a mess. I hooked the pressure gage back up and turned the engine over for like 15 seconds. Nothing...wtf. I texted some Delorean experts. One of them said "Keep cranking it takes quite a while" and my wife was googling the situation said she was reading the same thing. "Don't worry about hurting something...just keep cranking till you see oil coming out in the heads. So we kept on cranking until..HEY OIL!!!

One thing I haven't mentioned yet. Before we left the shop for the night my wife put the spark plugs back in. I was worried the whole time because I know how easily the threads can get messed up but when even I say something like "Hey be careful, if you mess that up it's a big deal" my wife freezes and just stares at me with this look. You know the look. The "I hate you" look. Lol
    So I kept my mouth shut hoping everything went well. Then it happened. She said "This one isn't going in right". I overreacted saying "So you stripped it out?!?" "That's pretty much the worst thing that could ever happen...if it is stripped out then the motor is screwed!"
    I could of handled it a lot better.
    She ended up storming off and going home. She didn't talk to me until half way through the day today.
    The good thing is she knew enough to stop right away instead of just cranking it in there.
    Today I went to the autoparts store to buy something to fix the threads. I bought what was recommended. It was a tap and thread inserts. Not really what I was looking for. When I got back to the shop I looked at my receipt. $80!!!
    I decided to look on online to see if there were better options. Then I found it. This amazing little device.
    You put it in past the bad threads engage it, then back thread over the messed up threads! How clever! And only $30.00! I'll be returning the other tool I bought.
    So I went to show my wife what I bought and before I could show her she said "A reverse thread repair die?" Aparently she had been doing her own research.
    So here's the tool. It should be here in three days...before the weekend.

It showed up. Let's see how this works.

That thing is cool. I wonder if you could put compressed air in the exhaust port with the exhaust valve open. Then as you chase the threads, any chips fly out instead of in. I guess in your case, you could turn the engine upside down and work underneath. (Gravity is your friend) I?ve also heard of grease on the tap, so chips stick to the tap.

We worked on the car for 9 hours today.
    First things first. We tackled the messed up spark plug hole threads. Wife said she wasn't going to touch it. I read the instructions, put some grease on the threaded part of the tool, inserted it into the combustion chamber, partially expanded it and started back threading. The directions said not to go full diameter on the first run but rather take several runs expanding it a bit more each time. As I was backing it out and it was quite loose in the threads I thought to myself "This is hogwash...I'm just gonna go full diameter" then next thing you know I hit the bad area and it went a bit hard. So I kept it where it was at. I backed it just short of being completely unthreaded then went back in until it was loose again. I tightened the adjustment to expand the diameter then did the same procedure. The next time I went full diameter. The tool worked like a charm. Nothing fell down inside the combustion chamber.

Next we removed all the spark plugs, put copper anti-seize on the threads, threaded them in BY HAND, and torqued them. I was glad I used a torque wrench because I feel like I would have tightened them more if than I was supposed to if I just did them by feel.
    You may notice the spark plugs are used and black. They are black because we tried to get the engine to start and run back when we first got it and I was just dumping gas into the intake to get it to run. We will probably replace the plugs after the break in period is over.
    The second photo is just to show how we had the motor set up to do this work. The plywood on the saw horses was getting in the way and giving us splinters so we didn't use it this time.

Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 ... LastLast