FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 84 of 103 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I didn?t know this either. Is there a thread about this? (I don?t like mucking his up))
    Look at this thread. Start at Post #85 if you don't want to read the whole thing.

https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1...tion-HEI/page9
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

We watched Andy Lien's (82DMC12) YouTube video on adjusting the transmission cable because I still didn't fully understand how this worked. Basically what you are supposed to do is adjust the cable so that the shifter lever has a static position of being centered in the little plate that the pin rides on. Also another indication that you have it adjusted correctly is you can hit every forward gear and reverse. Kind of a no brainer there once you think about it. Reverse keeps tripping us up because neither of us have ever actually driven a Delorean or any vehicle that reverse is fully left l, lift, then back. I've had other cars like VWs that have a weird reverse but it isn't the same pattern. So we had to Google a picture of a Delorean shift knob and refer to the picture.
    I ended up having to adjust the locking nuts at the transmission bracket all the way in one direction (pushing cable sheathing towards front of the car).
    After doing this the lever was close to being centered but not far enough because some of the gears were still hard to hit. I backed out the clevis some, closer, some more, closer still. I adjusted the clevis out as far as I dared to and now it seems to be perfectly where it should be. It does kind of worry me though how far in one direction I had to adjust everything.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 03-07-2024 at 08:30 AM.

It has been a challenge doing this whole project with my wife. We own a small business so we work together all day M-F. Then we do all of our hobby stuff together for the most part. Last night I lost my temper with her. I was under the car trying to get the damn cable set up correctly. She was up top trying the movement of the shift lever. I got up and saw her yanking on the lever trying to make it go into reverse and was horrified.
    I yelled at her "What the Hell are you doing!" "You're going to break something!"
    Yeah...not cool. She stormed off and left.
    Ugh.....we later talked about it. I of course apologized. She said she wasn't yanking on the lever even though it looked that way to me.
    The struggle is real.....
    The funny thing is when we get the car all done we will have all kinds of people saying "Wow must be nice..wish I could have a Delorean." At that point they may get punched by me or my wife.

My VIN:    11596

Regarding going into reverse, the best way is to lift the shifter up when it is in neutral, then basically put it into second gear. I think it could be problematic moving the shifter all the way to the left before lifting it.

Also, been there done that with the wife which is probably why I almost never asked her to help me with any car projects anymore LOL

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Last night we worked on the car for a few hours. We were not real focused on what we were doing. It seems like that happens sometimes on these projects. Especially if it has been a long day and you're tired. We tried to figure out where some of the vacuum lines went. The spent a long time looking though disassembly photos trying to figure out routing for the right side parking brake cable. I found a O-ring to replace the old one in the crankcase vent. It fits nice and tight now. I decided at the last minute to seal off my WUR and vapor blast it. Unfortunately I forgot that I had recently changed to course media in the blaster. So it came out looking quite dull. Oh well. I blew it off and blew the ports out after.

We also worked a bit on the fuel lines. It seemed like the fuel line kit we got from D-Ind didn't come with a banjo bolt long enough for the connection at the fuel filter so my wife ended up using the original bolt after cleaning it up a bit. We used new copper washers on it.

The last thing we did was adjust the coilovers to approximately 11 threads showing on the front and 19 on the back. This is what Andy's car is adjusted to so I figure it is a good starting point. Locking down the adjustment rings is kind of awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post

You have all the cool tools.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    You have all the cool tools.
    I ordered some better wrenches from summit racing for my coilovers. These work way better than dicking around with those little tools and ratchets.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-t114w

Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I ordered some better wrenches from summit racing for my coilovers. These work way better than dicking around with those little tools and ratchets.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-t114w

Done...

Page 84 of 103 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast