FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Bosch coils can't handle 12 volts going through them for very long before they will burn out hence why many European cars are fitted with the ballast resistor. One major benefit of only allowing 9 volts through the coil is they tend to easily last a couple of decades, downside is the spark it produces is weaker, which is why the spark plugs are gapped at a modest .024" -.028"

Most aftermarket coils can handle 12 volts so no ballast resistor needed. I know Pertronix and MSD do not require the ballast resistor.
    I didn?t know this either. Is there a thread about this? (I don?t like mucking his up))

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

We worked on the car for 4 hours after work today. I tried to figure out how the frequency valve gets rebuilt with the D-Ind parts while the wife swapped out the end plate on the compressor. First I glass bead blasted the valve body under low pressure being careful to avoid the plug in terminals. I didn?t worry about getting beads in the end of the lines because the lines are getting replaced. I cut part way through the factory hose on the F.V. then yanked it off.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

I cleaned the valve really well, inspected everything, installed new hose and adapter on the other end. I masked it off, primed, painted, and clear coated with engine enamel.

While I was doing this work the wife removed the rear plate from the AC compressor. When she loosened the bolts oil started to leak out so I told her to remove the entire compressor so she could tip it up on end to remove the end plate. She removed the end plate and installed the replacement end plate with the new gasket. We couldn't tell which way the gasket was supposed to face by looking at the old one but I don't think it matters.

The last thing we did was try to get the shift cable (crossgate?) Set up. We already had the cable in the frame and connected on the shift lever end but figured out that we had it routed incorrectly so....it had to come back out. Yeah.....

My phone battery died last night so I am finishing up my posts from last night today. Wifey re-routed the cable through the smaller knockout in the frame up in the LH corner but I inspected how she had it ran in the frame and wasn't so sure about it. It was swooping down below the fuel accumulator mount. It took some searching online but I found a picture that showed the cable and it was on top of the accumulator mount. My wife was frustrated by now and didn't see why it made any difference so I ended up being the next victim to have to remove then re-install the cable.
    Here is the picture I found online.

So I ran our cable over the mounting bracket AND over the hard fuel pipe.
    line.

My VIN:    11596

Yes the crossgate cable is supposed to be completely above the fuel accumulator area

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

I managed to get the cable into the bracket(s)..something easier said than done.

Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 ... LastLast