FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

Nothing done on the car recently.
    I did find out about a guy a few towns away that specializes in straightening frames and best of all has been doing it a long time. So in other words he has seen a lot of odd stuff and was doing frame work in the 80s so may have even done one of these before. I emailed him pictures. I am waiting to hear back from him.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This is funny. A trucking company dropped off some equipment at my garage today. I caught the guy noticing the DeLorean out back then purposely going wide with the pallet jack so he could get another look. LolScreenshot_20211117-182634_Video Player.jpg

Spoke to the guy that I had contacted about straightening our donor frame for us. He said he could do it but spent like 10 minutes telling me about all the other resto-mod projects he is working on right now (weird flex?) I stopped in at another shop in town. This guy has a mechanic shop but does a lot of special jobs that other people can't or won't do. He is a certified welder also. He is a motor head and said that he is definitely interested in the project. I was impressed by how clean and organized his shop was. So we will see. I feel pretty confident that the wife and I could do the work but we work a lot of hours and don't have a lot of time for a project like this as it is so doing this work on the frame might be best to be outsourced. I know one other guy I could try also. He has built a lot of hot rods and other stuff in his little two car garage. He is a phenomenal welder and really inexpensive because he just does this stuff on the side. I have seen him tig weld full custom work on snowmobiles and motorcycles and his work is awesome.
    We will see...

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 11-19-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Worked on the D with the wife today. Printed out some good instructions on rebuilding Bosch fuel distributors.
    Removed the fuel distributor.
    The other day I picked up bolts to fit in all the ports on the distributor. So we plugged all the ports on the regulator and taped over the piston area. I worked on getting my/used blasting booth ready to go with glass beads. My wife got to be the first person to use the blaster. After the distributor was blasted, blown off with air, and cleaned thoroughly, we removed the plugs.
    We proceeded to try to rebuild the fuel distributor. In the process of trying to get the two halves split apart it suddenly flew apart. Spring, shims, etc. Went flying everywhere!! So we spent some time trying to track down all of the shims, springs, etc. We came up with six springs, six spring cups, and 12 shims so we figured we were good to go.
    20211120_112851.jpg20211120_112857.jpg20211120_121749.jpg20211120_121805.jpg

I measured the depth of all of the pockets where the shims and springs go. Then we measured the shims. My wife is better at math than me so I put her to work figuring out which shims should go in which pockets. Then she measured the new depths. All 6 pockets measured very close so we figured that she did a good job. 20211120_140905.jpg

Surprisingly the fuel distributor was actually very clean inside and in good shape. It got all new o-rings and a new diaphragm anyways. We used a Napa product that was supposed to be their equivalent to Hylomar. I've never used Hylomar so I don't know how it is to work with but this stuff was not fun. It came out very runny but got tacky, like it was drying, very quickly! I was going to take some pictures but I felt really rushed to get the distributor back together ASAP.
    After it was all back together we put the plugs back in and my wife painted it with POR-15. Hopefully it doesn't leak because it might be hard to split it apart after the POR-15 dries.20211120_131207.jpg20211120_124404.jpg20211120_171258.jpg20211120_171323.jpg

Next we pulled all the fuel lines from the distributor to the injectors with the injectors still attached. Right side,...a pain but not terrible. Left side,...OMG...horrible. Of course the one that was stuck like it was welded in was the front left...the one that is almost impossible to get to.
    Managed to get them all out. The wife separated the injectors from the lines, flushed the lines out, and installed new injectors.
    20211120_164109.jpg20211120_151308.jpg20211120_145635.jpg

My VIN:    1710

If you haven’t ordered them already, get a set of braided stainless fuel lines from your DeLorean vendor of choice. The original lines are hard plastic and are known to crack and rupture, causing engine fires. Several DeLoreans have burned to the ground because of this issue, unfortunately.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    If you haven’t ordered them already, get a set of braided stainless fuel lines from your DeLorean vendor of choice. The original lines are hard plastic and are known to crack and rupture, causing engine fires. Several DeLoreans have burned to the ground because of this issue, unfortunately.
    Yeah they are on order. Right now we are just trying to get the car to run in the shop.
    What are people doing that want to keep their car all origonal?

Today we installed the rebuilt fuel distributor on the intake assembly, hooked up all of the fuel lines to the FD, put the injectors in empty water bottles. Plugged in the fuel pump and jumpered the fuel pump relay.
    We got all kinds of fuel out of lines #1 & #3 with the air flow plate not being depressed at all. Nothing out of all of the other lines. Pushed the plate down still nothing out of the other lines. Unplugged the fuel pump. Decided to swap line and injector #3 with line with injector #2. Plugged fuel pump back in.
    Same thing,..no fuel out of line #3 (now on port #2) but all kids of fuel spraying out of line #2 (now on port #3). We pushed the plate down and eventually started getting fuel out of the other ports (#2,4,5,&6). So ports #1 & #3 are feeding all the time for some reason.
    Needless to say we are pretty frustrated at this point. My guess is that the fuel distributor is shimmed incorrect so that ports #1 & #3 are feeding fuel when they shouldn't be.
    The most frustrating thing of all is that the fuel distributor looked perfect inside. So the issue was probably just our injectors and maybe rich/lean adjustment.

Not sure where to go from here besides coughing up the money for a new fuel distributor.
    Thoughts? Anyone know how to properly shim these?
    I found out that other cars had the six port fuel distributor with an external adjustment for each port. Anyone know if one of these would work on a DeLorean? I really like the idea of the external adjustment vs. The shim design.20211121_162031.jpg20211121_163307.jpg20211121_170008.jpg

Page 7 of 108 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast