FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clutch pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    The term "Swedish “A”s" was a new term for me. Funny, because because I am Swedish myself... but I see what you're saying. You are referring to the three letters: Å, Ä and Ö.
    I don’t really know what they are called. Seems like I’ve seen them in some foreign writing. (Swedish, Austrian, Danish)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Any chance you took a picture of the two MCs where you can reference if the piston is legitimately 1/2" further inboard on the new one or perhaps kept the old MC on hand to compare against? I've made plenty of custom pedal pins over the years for my cars but I've only ever had to do it when I wanted to use a clutch or brake master cylinder that wasn't meant for the pedal assembly that was in the car.
    Didn’t keep the old master. The old one didn’t work at all. It would leak the whole resivour overnight.

When I started noticing this, I thought it was just the thick carpet mats getting in the way. But when I got down and looked close, the pedal is cutting the mat.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Rob Grady sold an adjustable clutch linkage that I’m running on both 4194 and 5052. It’s easy to install and the results are great. I’d recommend contacting Rob to see if he still has one available.

Also, are you running stainless braided clutch hydraulic line. If not, I would perform that upgrade without delay.

Best of luck!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Rob Grady sold an adjustable clutch linkage that I’m running on both 4194 and 5052. It’s easy to install and the results are great. I’d recommend contacting Rob to see if he still has one available.

Also, are you running stainless braided clutch hydraulic line. If not, I would perform that upgrade without delay.

Best of luck!

Andrew
    I do have the braided line. Do you have a picture of the “adjustable linkage”? I have a pretty complete machine shop at my house, so I can probably make one. I’ve thought of several ways to do it already. I would have made one already, except I don’t want to do it if there is something wrong. (I don’t want Band-Aid if the piston is hanging up.)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I do have the braided line. Do you have a picture of the “adjustable linkage”? I have a pretty complete machine shop at my house, so I can probably make one. I’ve thought of several ways to do it already. I would have made one already, except I don’t want to do it if there is something wrong. (I don’t want Band-Aid if the piston is hanging up.)
    An OE style MC and slave will not need any adjustable hardware.

Early on some of the original DMC dealers sold an adjustable link for the clutch. I assume it was a band aid for the problem with the original clutch line. I took the "dealer" adj. link out a few years later and went back to the OE link (after moving to the braided line). No problems.

Is your system is fully bled per David T's advice earlier? If you don't know for sure that the system is bled then any linkage work might be a band-aid.

The symptom you describe is consistent with air in one or more of the 3 components (MC, clutch line or slave). Bleeding the clutch isn't easy but you might as well get good at it sooner than later given the recommended flush/fill frequency (2-3 yrs).
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    11596

I want to get DPI's remote clutch bleeding setup. I think I'm through trying to bleed my slave from above the engine. It's no fun.

https://deloreanindustries.com/3-2-r...factory-slave/

Does anyone have this and can post a picture of where the remove bleeder goes "near the bellhousing by the starter"?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Do you have a picture of the “adjustable linkage”?
    ST-07-9/82 describes the adjustable link that replaces the original fixed link. Rob's version was a hardened version that addressed some issues with wear on the factory part & clevis pins.

My car had the OEM adjustable part. Rather than remove the pedal stop I think either a QAC or dealer just stuck a bottle jack under the clutch pedal and bent it 45 degrees up.

I don't fully understand why there is an upper stop bolt for the clutch pedal. This seems a dangerous design that could zero out pedal free play once things are warm and trash your throw-out bearing.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    ST-07-9/82 describes the adjustable link that replaces the original fixed link. Rob's version was a hardened version that addressed some issues with wear on the factory part & clevis pins.

My car had the OEM adjustable part. Rather than remove the pedal stop I think either a QAC or dealer just stuck a bottle jack under the clutch pedal and bent it 45 degrees up.

I don't fully understand why there is an upper stop bolt for the clutch pedal. This seems a dangerous design that could zero out pedal free play once things are warm and trash your throw-out bearing.
    My car does not have the stop bolt for the clutch. It also has Robs adjustable link. Hence my clutch pedal does sit higher than the brake pedal. That does not bother me but I would guess I could adjust the link to lower it. It's been that way since I bought the car. Without the stop, you really can't miss adjust the pedal because you always have free play at the top.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    An OE style MC and slave will not need any adjustable hardware.

Early on some of the original DMC dealers sold an adjustable link for the clutch. I assume it was a band aid for the problem with the original clutch line. I took the "dealer" adj. link out a few years later and went back to the OE link (after moving to the braided line). No problems.

Is your system is fully bled per David T's advice earlier? If you don't know for sure that the system is bled then any linkage work might be a band-aid.

The symptom you describe is consistent with air in one or more of the 3 components (MC, clutch line or slave). Bleeding the clutch isn't easy but you might as well get good at it sooner than later given the recommended flush/fill frequency (2-3 yrs).
    I’m sure I bled it when I installed the new master. (DMC) I remember cussing at the location. I’m hoping it’s easier with the crossover pipe gone. Does that make any difference?

I was thinking of pealing the rubber boot back under the dash. I would like to confirm that the pin is moving free for that 1/2” before it hits the piston. Also maybe I can see from that side if the piston looks to be the whole way back. If the piston is moving the 1/2” with the pin, I would say I have a serious air in the system problem. I can’t hardly believe that. I should have checked it today.

My VIN:    10270

I should have said "trash your throw-out bearing and pressure plate".

The stop bolt is a curious part. I can't find it in pedal box or clutch portions of the service manual. Its visible in the parts manual at 6:4:0 but not at 4:4:0. Since it could interfere with clutch release if misadjusted I'd think it would have appeared somewhere besides the TSB? My last manual car w/ hydraulic clutch definitely saw some clutch pedal movement when hot as things expanded. An upper stop bolt adjusted cold would have caused it to preload or slip when hot.

Other Lotus cars have it... and the 2019 Civic Type R?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I should have said "trash your throw-out bearing and pressure plate".

The stop bolt is a curious part. I can't find it in pedal box or clutch portions of the service manual. Its visible in the parts manual at 6:4:0 but not at 4:4:0. Since it could interfere with clutch release if misadjusted I'd think it would have appeared somewhere besides the TSB? My last manual car w/ hydraulic clutch definitely saw some clutch pedal movement when hot as things expanded. An upper stop bolt adjusted cold would have caused it to preload or slip when hot.

Other Lotus cars have it... and the 2019 Civic Type R?
    Mine has the stop bolt. No danger of heat taking up all that travel. But that’s on my list of things to check. (See if the free travel gets less after warm up.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast