FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch Master Cylinder

My VIN:    16409

Clutch Master Cylinder

I've always wanted to find an off the shelf clutch master. I came across this part from a Jaguar. I'm not happy with the reproductions.

https://mossmotors.com/clutch-master...r-girling-type

Jag CLutch Master.jpg

It has the same bore size as the OE part. I'm thinking it's worth a try. I'm interested to know any of your thoughts. Moss is a major parts supplier for British cars in the states.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I've always wanted to find an off the shelf clutch master. I came across this part from a Jaguar. I'm not happy with the reproductions.

https://mossmotors.com/clutch-master...r-girling-type

Jag CLutch Master.jpg

It has the same bore size as the OE part. I'm thinking it's worth a try. I'm interested to know any of your thoughts. Moss is a major parts supplier for British cars in the states.
    The only other thing I can think of besides bore size to make sure is correct would be the length of the clevis from the mounting surface. The clevis position will determine where the clutch pedal will sit relative to the other pedals. Special-T auto used to have a clutch master (probably a similar crossover part) with adjustable length clevis so it could be adjusted to match the stock length. You have to be somewhat careful with adjustments so you the pedal isn't being partially depressed at rest.

Looks like DPI also has their own replacement master cyl if you didn't want to take a gamble with the Jaguar part.

https://deloreanindustries.com/d-tec...ulic-systems-/

I've got a DMCH replacement master cyl on my car and haven't had any issues with it in the past 8 years or so... I'm curious to know what you unhappy about with the part.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

The clutch master cylinder from a 1980 AMC Spirit 2.5 I4 with an external reservoir is a bolt in replacement, however the linkage rod needs to be transferred. Unfortunately, the AMC unit has been generally unavailable for a few years.

The clutch master cylinders can be rebuilt provided that the internal surface is not damaged. Many failed clutch masters can be repaired by replacing 2 internal seals, if you can find them.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The only other thing I can think of besides bore size to make sure is correct would be the length of the clevis from the mounting surface. The clevis position will determine where the clutch pedal will sit relative to the other pedals. Special-T auto used to have a clutch master (probably a similar crossover part) with adjustable length clevis so it could be adjusted to match the stock length. You have to be somewhat careful with adjustments so you the pedal isn't being partially depressed at rest.

Looks like DPI also has their own replacement master cyl if you didn't want to take a gamble with the Jaguar part.

https://deloreanindustries.com/d-tec...ulic-systems-/

I've got a DMCH replacement master cyl on my car and haven't had any issues with it in the past 8 years or so... I'm curious to know what you unhappy about with the part.
    The DPI one is a wilwood brand, but I believe DPI makes their own clevis to modify them so they sit in the correct position.

I sent an inquiry. I'll let you know if they respond back (I requested some dimensions).