FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding fuel distributor

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    If you assemble it without sealant, make sure that all surfaces are spotless and there is no dust particles on it prior to assembly.

Grease? For? Grease wouldn't prevent it from leaking as it would just wash out.
    True,
    I was just thinking if some of the grease got into the inner workings it wouldn't hurt anything but Mayne would still have enough resistance to leaking to work but yeah would probably just wash away.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    True,
    I was just thinking if some of the grease got into the inner workings it wouldn't hurt anything but Mayne would still have enough resistance to leaking to work but yeah would probably just wash away.

Hylomar AF would go on as smoothly as grease but it's a bit sticky compared to grease. I think I would lay the thinnest bead possible, spread it a little with a plastic tool, and set the metal gasket on and press down. You could also use your finger to spread it but wipe your finger off repeatedly to make sure you don't spread it where you don't want it. Make sure you don't have so much product on it that it squeezed out under the gasket. If it looks good, I'm sure it is now sealed, so I would do exactly the same on the other half.

That said I've never used shellac so I don't know how easy that stuff is to use. But I do have some experience with Hylomar so it's my go-to now. It would be nice to use on that metal gasket because the Hylomar doesn't set. If you ever need to go back in there again you won't risk bending the gasket trying to get it off of a set bonding agent like Loctite.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I one time considered doing this for others. I did rebuild one and used the shellac sealer. I did not like that sealer or any sealer because the two half surfaces are so perfectly flat and when they are torqued all the sealer has to go somewhere (fill the tiny holes in the metal plate). The originals have no sealer so if I ever do another one I would try it dry. I do have a granite flat block I could resurface each half on it with fine sandpaper.
    +1
    I've put a full kit in several. I used the shellac in the How To on the first one. It is still OK. But the second one weeped. I tried Permatex spray sealer on it (new plate), but it weeped. I cleaned it up and installed it dry (same plate) and it is still OK. Ever since then, I've put them together dry and had good luck.
    As mentioned, the trick is to be surgically clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1
    I've put a full kit in several. I used the shellac in the How To on the first one. It is still OK. But the second one weeped. I tried Permatex spray sealer on it (new plate), but it weeped. I cleaned it up and installed it dry (same plate) and it is still OK. Ever since then, I've put them together dry and had good luck.
    As mentioned, the trick is to be surgically clean!
    Did you torque the screws that hold the halves together to anything specific, or just tightened down by feel?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Did you torque the screws that hold the halves together to anything specific, or just tightened down by feel?
    Good question- I got conflicting information on that and finally used the pattern and torque(s) shown here:
    https://k-jet.biz/wp-content/uploads...ributor-V2.pdf

Good question- I got conflicting information on that and finally used the pattern and torque(s) shown here:

Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!

Thanks for this info

Done!! 20211120_124404.jpg20211120_171323.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Done!! 20211120_124404.jpg20211120_171323.jpg

Did you use a sealant or just put them together dry?

Used a permatex sealant from Napa. It said "similar to Hylomar" on the package.
    It didn't appear to have any sealant on it when I took it apart.
    I wonder if the pieces are lapped to match and the diaphragm is supposed to be the gasket so to speak.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast