FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding fuel distributor

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yes and no. No one is replacing the original non-adjustable FD with the adjustable just so they have the additional flexibility. If the original one is working correctly, no adjustment is needed. If the injectors aren't filling six jars evenly, it tends to be an injector problem and not a FD problem.

I would definitely not try to correct flow volume with the adjusters unless I had already replaced the injectors and all the fuel lines and confirmed correct fuel pressure with a gauge - and had the fuel distributor professionally rebuilt so you know there is nothing at all possible remaining except for fine adjustment per port.

I think you should just replace all six injectors and try again. When I test my flow rate, I use six mason jars and hold the air plate down maybe half an inch from rest and hold it down for about 20 seconds. While it's spraying, check each injector and make sure the pattern looks even like a narrow umbrella of atomized fuel. No drippage allowed. If the umbrella is cocked to one side, that's not good either. Release the plate and make sure there is no dripping afterwards. Then remove all six mason jars, remembering which one goes where and set them on a table and compare the fuel levels. As long as they are within a couple millimeters of fuel level, the engine is going to run fine.
    Ok thanks for the info (______<your name here)
    I tend to think that the injectors are fine since they are brand new but you never know I guess.
    What are these screens I see for sale online? Do they go in the distributor or in the inlet of the injectors?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Ok thanks for the info (______<your name here)
    I tend to think that the injectors are fine since they are brand new but you never know I guess.
    What are these screens I see for sale online? Do they go in the distributor or in the inlet of the injectors?

I've never taken those filters out but they go in the distributor under the hollow bolts for each injector line. I assume you had them out when you took your FD apart?

OK if you have the correct injectors brand new then we can assume they are OK.
    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Olathe, KS

Here's some good discussion to read -

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...ibutor-Rebuild

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Olathe, KS

I've never taken those filters out but they go in the distributor under the hollow bolts for each injector line. I assume you had them out when you took your FD apart?

OK if you have the correct injectors brand new then we can assume they are OK.
    Nope haha. Never even noticed them in there.

Nope haha. Never even noticed them in there.

Doesn't seem like it's a big deal though since they are on the outlet side of the ports, not the inlet side, so they probably won't do much in regards to poor uneven flow to the injector. The thread I just linked to has some good discussion on other types of contamination though.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Olathe, KS

My VIN:    03572

When I test my flow rate, I use six mason jars and hold the air plate down maybe half an inch from rest and hold it down for about 20 seconds.
    +1

I did test one unit that worked very poorly if you pressed the air plate all the way down but with less press it worked great. I don't know if all units do that since I've only flow tested two units.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Well we gave it one more try. Took it all apart. Checked orings, sealant, measured the spring height, swapped two of the thinner shims but that was about it.
    Letting the sealant dry. We will test it tomorrow.20211122_162941.jpg
    My wife's sloppy sealant job. At this point I am just letting her try to learn how to do this stuff.
    20211122_171703.jpg

I'm not too confident that this thing is going to work right for us at this point. I think we will be buying a new (rebuilt) one.

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 11-22-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Well we gave it one more try. Took it all apart. Checked orings, sealant, measured the spring height, swapped two of the thinner shims but that was about it.
    Letting the sealant dry. We will test it tomorrow.20211122_162941.jpg
    My wife's sloppy sealant job. At this point I am just letting her try to learn how to do this stuff.
    20211122_171703.jpg

I'm not too confident that this thing is going to work right for us at this point. I think we will be buying a new (rebuilt) one.

And old credit card will do the trick to apply it thin and even.

Also, Hylomar doesn't really dry like regular sealant, it remains pliable and workable.

Put it back on the car and tested it. Same issue. Ports #1 & #3 feed fuel all the time. Switched hoses and injectors around. Same thing. Whatever lines are on ports #1 & #3 keep spraying.
    Trying to think what could be causing this. Seems like the following could be causing fuel to spray out of the injectors on #1 & #3:
    1. Injectors are opening at too low of pressure (already disproved this as being the problem)
    2. The spring, shim arrangement on these ports is too strong thus holding the port open.
    3. There is some sort of solid debris on the face of these two ports holding them open.
    4. These ports are somehow damaged (face of port not flat) allowing fuel to pass by when the diaphragm is push up against them.
    When I looked at the ports it did look like at least one of them had a notch in it for some reason.
    20211122_171300.jpg

I may try one more thing before taking it all apart again. I was thinking of trying the following:
    Jump out the fuel pump relay, install hoses without injectors, put hoses in a container, plug in the fuel pump, push the air flow disk all the way down and hold it down for few seconds then release.
    My hope, if there is any debris in there it gets washed out and then the flow will close off when the air flow disk is closed.

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 11-25-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Put it back on the car and tested it. Same issue. Ports #1 & #3 feed fuel all the time. Switched hoses and injectors around. Same thing. Whatever lines are on ports #1 & #3 keep spraying.
    Trying to think what could be causing this. Seems like the following could be causing fuel to spray out of the injectors on #1 & #3:
    1. Injectors are opening at too low of pressure (already disproved this as being the problem)
    2. The spring, shim arrangement on these ports is too strong thus holding the port open.
    3. There is some sort of solid debris on the face of these two ports holding them open.
    4. These ports are somehow damaged (face of port not flat) allowing fuel to pass by when the diaphragm is push up against them.
    When I looked at the ports it did look like at least one of them had a notch in it for some reason.
    20211122_171300.jpg

I may try one more thing before taking it all apart again. I was thinking of trying the following:
    Jump out the fuel pump relay, install hoses without injectors, put hoses in a container, plug in the fuel pump, push the air flow disk all the way down and hold it down for few seconds then release.
    My hope, if there is any debris in there it gets washed out and then the flow will close off when the air flow disk is closed.

Are you using a new stainless diaphragm or are you re-using the original one?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast