FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Passenger door stuck.

My VIN:    SCEDT26T8BD004207

Passenger door stuck.

Passenger door front lock stuck i just finished resetting all linkages and the door was opening fine. I shut the door a little harder the rear latch released. The front latch would not release. I removed the door panels unhooked the rear linkages could not release front latch. The levers on the latch are moving as needed. the locking lever clicks back and forth. The lock release lever moves correctly.
    It did this to me before I released it by accessing the levers, cannot release it this time.
    Help!!!

Hilton

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Have someone press against the door on the outside, to take some strain off the latch while you try to release it by first making sure it is not locked and then pulling on the release rod.
    David Teitelbaum

stuck door

Latch would not release when pressing in on door. What next?

Thanks
    Hilton Hoover

Maybe the post is catching on the edge of the latch or something like that where the release is not the problem. I would try some pressure while opening. Like push down on the door while pulling out on the bottom. Or maybe push in on the door while lifting up at the bottom. It sounds weird, but I had mine stick once and that’s how it opened. I never figured out what was happening.

stuck door fixed

Fixed stick door by applying more closing pressure than I could(see pictures), Door was closing to tight . The locking pin was set to tight which was its looses position. I had to grind backing plate to make the door looser.. Also have pictures of door gaskets for both doors. The passenger door gasket was crushed compared to driver door gasket.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by hjhjr View Post
    Fixed stick door by applying more closing pressure than I could(see pictures), Door was closing to tight . The locking pin was set to tight which was its looses position. I had to grind backing plate to make the door looser.. Also have pictures of door gaskets for both doors. The passenger door gasket was crushed compared to driver door gasket.
    Out of curiosity, what's the condition of your roof box? have you owned the car long?

stuck door

I have owned th car for10years. I guess the roof box is ok. How to tell if there is a problem.

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by hjhjr View Post
    I have owned th car for10years. I guess the roof box is ok. How to tell if there is a problem.
    I was wondering if this may be part of your problem, but i'm not sure if you had closing/opening problems prior to the door getting stuck.

A lot of cars lately have been having the roof box separating from the underbody. I think this will be happening to all the cars eventually depending on how they were stored over time.

If its separated, This can cause issues with the doors closing as they come out of alignment. also can damage the torsion bars.

you can see if its separated by looking behind the trim piece under the rear of the T-panel. behind it you'll see where the torsion bars are bolted into the metal roof box. The bottom edge of the metal between where the torsion bars are bolted should run flush with the top of the underbody, but if its pulled up it means its separated. It can be bolted down pretty easily to help it. DGo sells a convenient kit for this, but you can also put together the hardware yourself if you want.

check out this video.

https://youtu.be/JturefX3UD8

here's also a link for DGo's kit. it has some pictures of a separated roof.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/roof-b...qm40ki024okrh6

worse yet is if the roof box is rusted. they tend to rust from the inside out. like mine did.

-Andy

roof box

I remembered right after I got the car the doors were lazy got new struts still lazy i proceed to access the roof box adjusted torsion bars. Did notice that box had bowed . I just put some self tapping screws in the rear. Well, I went back to look at it today it had not changed. It was bowed Quite a bit. Bolted it down. looks pretty good now. I still have a high a high spot where the straight section joins the T by the rear of the doors. The gasket by the passenger door front was crushed, compared to drivers door ,causing the door not to release. The latch pin was set as loose as possible, I had to grind the backing plate to loosen the locking pressure. See Photos. could not get pictures in correct orientation.

Hilton
    Attached Images