FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Pricing Parts Car VIN 883 ***Split From For Sale***

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by deloumis View Post
    First time I hear about bring-a-trailer. Is that a well known site? I'll look into it, thank you.
    Bringatrailer.com is legit, I helped a friend sell her one-owner DeLorean for over $80,000 last year on it. Far exceeded her expectations (and even mine). The transaction went through no worries. The car went overseas.

Only problem with BaT is they don't accept all submissions for auction. They do seem to accept pretty much any DeLorean as far as I can tell. I haven't seen a project DeLorean (disassembled) like what you describe on there before so it would be interesting if they accept it.

Post up as many pics as possible on here and we can give you a good idea of what to expect.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You will get a much better (higher) price if you can fully assemble the car and make it run. A project, especially in pieces, is not worth anywhere near what a runner is because you can't properly assess the condition and it is difficult to tell if you have all of the parts. BAT (Bring-A-Trailer) is a very good place to sell classic cars and/or project cars. It is well worth your time to get it running if you can.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2565

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Bringatrailer.com is legit, I helped a friend sell her one-owner DeLorean for over $80,000 last year on it. Far exceeded her expectations (and even mine). The transaction went through no worries. The car went overseas.

Only problem with BaT is they don't accept all submissions for auction. They do seem to accept pretty much any DeLorean as far as I can tell. I haven't seen a project DeLorean (disassembled) like what you describe on there before so it would be interesting if they accept it.

Post up as many pics as possible on here and we can give you a good idea of what to expect.

Andy
    I will head down and take some pictures of everything. Hopefully I can avoid auction, if not BaT sounds like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You will get a much better (higher) price if you can fully assemble the car and make it run. A project, especially in pieces, is not worth anywhere near what a runner is because you can't properly assess the condition and it is difficult to tell if you have all of the parts. BAT (Bring-A-Trailer) is a very good place to sell classic cars and/or project cars. It is well worth your time to get it running if you can.
    As much as I would love to get it back together, I haven't been able to find the time to get it done.

I took these pictures right before I pulled the frame. Attachment 6976712 - 7..jpg12 - 5..jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Here are a few quick pictures I took of the frame and body.

My VIN:    11596

Tough to say on this one. I read a bit of your blog and apparently it has a salvage title? The car was rough when you got it and obviously even more rough now. Most buyers won't know enough to be sure they have all the parts. Most parts, from what I can tell, need refurbishment / restoration / painting. And of course the body and frame are separated so transport is an issue. A buyer will discount the car for these reasons.

Personally I'd ask $25,000 but be happy if I got $17,000 if you just want to get rid of it. Just too many unknowns here.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    7012

The only comparable to this that I've seen go for sale in the last 6 months sold for $16,110 on eBay. eBay takes down listings after 90 days so the pictures are no longer accessible, but I vaguely recall it being in pieces like this one. I think the seller had done some work to recondition the frame but not sure what else had been done.

Now comes my opinion... I think the market has slowed a bit, due to economy and people having already spent a bunch of their excess cash during the pandemic on other hobbies/collectibles/luxuries like this. I'd bet $11k as the final sale price for this, if the left front fender is in good shape.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A project like this, in pieces, is going to be tough to sell. It's not like you can do an auction and the buyer sends a truck to pick it up. Someone has to spend the time to drag all of the parts into a trailer. A lot of labor, time, and at least 2 people. That means not a large pool of potential buyers and you aren't selling a car, you are selling a pile of parts. If you don't have a clean Title any buyer has to figure that it would be difficult-to-impossible to put it together and have a usable car depending on what State they would try to Title and register it in. Even if they can "clean" the Title it will always have that history of being a Salvage Title which reduces the car's value. The best way to sell this is to at least make it a "roller" and put all of the parts together or at least inside. That way a tilt-bed can pick it up in one big lump. All you can really say is you are selling one Lot of used Delorean parts which includes X, Y, & Z. If the panels are OK and the glass is OK and the frame isn't rusty and you have a complete drivetrain, suspension, and all of the interior parts (and torsion bars) it could be worth as much as $15K as parts.
    David Teitelbaum

Thank you all for all the helpful input/advice. I will try to find the time to get it back together before selling.

Title is clean, not salvaged.

Quote Originally Posted by deloumis View Post
    Thank you all for all the helpful input/advice. I will try to find the time to get it back together before selling.

Title is clean, not salvaged.

Hi Deloumis,
    I bought VIN 883 from you and have it, I would change this thread so it is not confused that people think you are selling 883. I offered to buy the other car at the same time for 15 k, the sheer difficulty of loading it on a truck and the logistics of getting it out of there were quite pricey, someone with their own trailer and time might be able to make the math work better, if you could have gotten it to a condition that could roll it would be more appealing to someone wanting a bargain buy but this would require significant work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast