FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting Manual to Automatic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Converting Manual to Automatic

I know I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, lol, but has anyone ever done this sort of conversion? I saw a thread for converting an auto to a manual, but not the other way around. What difficulties would one run into in making this conversion? Would everything align and "fit" where it's supposed to (shifter, etc)?

I live in an area with a TON of traffic and that heavy clutch isn't doing my leg any favors, LOLOL.

Any thoughts? Should I not even consider it? Should I shut the hell up?

-Johnny C

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
    I know I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, lol, but has anyone ever done this sort of conversion? I saw a thread for converting an auto to a manual, but not the other way around. What difficulties would one run into in making this conversion? Would everything align and "fit" where it's supposed to (shifter, etc)?

I live in an area with a TON of traffic and that heavy clutch isn't doing my leg any favors, LOLOL.

Any thoughts? Should I not even consider it? Should I shut the hell up?

-Johnny C
    Given the demand for manuals by auto owners, I think you'd simply be better off finding someone to swap cars with. It depends how much you've customized your car though.

My VIN:    11596

As far the frame goes, the only thing you would have to do is cut the deck out where the manual shift sits and have someone fab up a new plate that can be installed at the correct height in the frame for the auto shifter. The auto shifter sits lower than the manual shifter. No other frame changes needed.

No idea on other automatic-specific components as I don't have one and have never looked very closely at one.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

An incomplete list of additional auto components is:

Second WOT switch.
    Auto trans computer and governor cable.
    Auto trans itself.
    Obviously shifter and linkage.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Auto trans itself.
    You have a firm grasp of the obvious.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    6125

Sounds like you just gotta stop skipping leg day and beef up those lower left leg muscles.
    Gotta be swole to drive a manual DeLorean

But seriously though, it is an interesting question. I can't say I remember anyone ever doing a manual to auto swap.

I don't drive my car frequently enough in heavy traffic that the clutch pedal is that annoying, but I agree it's got a heavy feel to it. I let one of my friends drive my car a while back and the first thing he said was "really?? is this how the clutch pedal is supposed to feel??" He's a mid 90's honda guy and the pedal feel on those by comparison is super light.

EDIT:

Here we go, I just found this thread about swapping from auto to manual. Just do the exact opposite and you should be all set!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18...ight=auto+swap

Double ninja edit:
    Looks like you're not the first one to ask this question:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ight=auto+swap
    Last edited by Mark D; 11-19-2021 at 03:10 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Going 5-speed to auto is actually easier than the other way. You need a LOT of little bits though. It would be easier if you had a parts car, some of the bits are going to be hard and expensive to get one-by-one. Probably more cost effective and a lot faster to just sell your car and buy an automatic. Realize an automatic is not as "peppy" as a 5-speed but it is more convenient to drive especially in traffic or hilly areas. It is all bolt-in except for some minor fabrication of the frame in the shifter area. The ideal situation would be someone who has an automatic that wants a 5-speed. You could either swap parts or cars.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Sounds like you just gotta stop skipping leg day and beef up those lower left leg muscles.
    Gotta be swole to drive a manual DeLorean

But seriously though, it is an interesting question. I can't say I remember anyone ever doing a manual to auto swap.

I don't drive my car frequently enough in heavy traffic that the clutch pedal is that annoying, but I agree it's got a heavy feel to it. I let one of my friends drive my car a while back and the first thing he said was "really?? is this how the clutch pedal is supposed to feel??" He's a mid 90's honda guy and the pedal feel on those by comparison is super light.

EDIT:

Here we go, I just found this thread about swapping from auto to manual. Just do the exact opposite and you should be all set!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?18...ight=auto+swap

Double ninja edit:
    Looks like you're not the first one to ask this question:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ight=auto+swap
    Thanks Mark! I saw the first one, but let me check out the second for sure! As for being swole... hell, my left leg will eventually get there and I won't even have to have leg day! LOLOLOL!!! Now to figure out how to make the right leg match.... hmmmm..... ;-)

Great advice here folks! Thanks so much!!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post

Second WOT switch.
    Auto trans computer and governor cable.
    Auto trans itself.
    Obviously shifter and linkage.
    Auto trans fluid cooler pipe (just a coolant pipe on manuals, but is a little heat exchanger between ATF and coolant on the autos. You'll need the pipe, bracket and connection hoses if they aren't already dangling from your donor auto trans).

ATF dipstick tube and bracket (top of tube attaches to front side of engine).

Additional vacuum tubing connection that runs from the front tip of the auto trans back to the engine block (you'll need the little rubber hose off the vacuum modulator, the tube itself and the brackets that hold it in place).

Auto pedal box (and auto trans uses a larger brake pedal rubber pad too).

The diagnostics plug contraption that comes off the shift computer attaches right near the ballast resistor (bracket may be needed). Most of the other shift computer connections go right into the trans and are just zip tied out of the way... which is important because one of them goes above the exhaust crossover pipe and needs to not be lying on it getting melted).

Auto trans mounts (complete set for both sides including frame bracket and trans bracket, rubber middle, nuts, bolts, washers, etc.)

The shifter style changed part way through the VINs. Whichever style you go with, you'll need those clips and pieces and whatnot that were meant for it as it's not all interchangeable.

A special 5-point harness seatbelt assembly to hold you back firmly in that seat... you know, because of the neck-breaking added performance from the automatic.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Auto trans fluid cooler pipe (just a coolant pipe on manuals, but is a little heat exchanger between ATF and coolant on the autos. You'll need the pipe, bracket and connection hoses if they aren't already dangling from your donor auto trans).

ATF dipstick tube and bracket (top of tube attaches to front side of engine).

Additional vacuum tubing connection that runs from the front tip of the auto trans back to the engine block (you'll need the little rubber hose off the vacuum modulator, the tube itself and the brackets that hold it in place).

Auto pedal box (and auto trans uses a larger brake pedal rubber pad too).

The diagnostics plug contraption that comes off the shift computer attaches right near the ballast resistor (bracket may be needed). Most of the other shift computer connections go right into the trans and are just zip tied out of the way... which is important because one of them goes above the exhaust crossover pipe and needs to not be lying on it getting melted).

Auto trans mounts (complete set for both sides including frame bracket and trans bracket, rubber middle, nuts, bolts, washers, etc.)

The shifter style changed part way through the VINs. Whichever style you go with, you'll need those clips and pieces and whatnot that were meant for it as it's not all interchangeable.

A special 5-point harness seatbelt assembly to hold you back firmly in that seat... you know, because of the neck-breaking added performance from the automatic.
    I think I’ll stick with the manual. 😂😂

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast