FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my cooling issue

My VIN:    16563

Thoughts on my cooling issue

Hey guys, any advice would be great. I am somewhat knowledgeable and do my own repairs. My car was running perfectly until:

-original heater valve broke in half as I was driving spewing out every drop of coolant, pulled over and obviously car would not hold water so I had it towed home.
    -Bought new replacement and installed and refilled coolant
    -Noticed "thermostat not opening" however second run it did and things seemed fine
    -4th drive out thermo not opening again and wants to overheat
    -several more runs and definitely thermo wont open.
    -Attemp to bleed air from water pump bleed valve with car at temp, only steam and air exiting from valve.
    -Change thermostat and same problem. Run car to temp and it wants to overheat as I feel the radiator on the passenger side and its cold (no flow of hot water)

So im thinking why cant i bleed air from system? is there another reason why water wont pass? Could that heater valve cause the issue although i did get the direction correct when I installed and it did seem to operate correctly for a couple runs.

Thanks guys
    Nathan
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

Get a Auto Bleeder worked for me.

My VIN:    03500

There's a small hose on the upper right side of the radiator that you need to bleed as well. Air can't travel from the radiator to the engine very well.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 11-21-2021 at 09:21 PM.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

You have air remaining in the system, or a leak somewhere.

Before bleeding, pressure test the cooling system to verify you don't have any leaks. If you don't have a pressure tester, you can borrow one from AutoZone/O'Reilly's.

The system should hold 15 psi for at least 30 minutes.

Once you're ready to bleed the system, make sure you have the heat set to full blast. I find it's helpful to raise the rear end of the car slightly if possible. Would highly recommend adding a self-bleed hose to your car if it doesn't have one.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Get a Auto Bleeder worked for me.
    Great idea. I have a friend who is an avid believer in these and is going to provide me one.
    THanks

[QUOTE=WHO1DMC;269030]There's a small hose on the upper right side of the radiator that you need to bleed as well. Air can't travel from the radiator to the engine very well.

We installed a "T' junction valve in that location to bleed from. Thats an engine running? or engine off procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode View Post
    You have air remaining in the system, or a leak somewhere.

Before bleeding, pressure test the cooling system to verify you don't have any leaks. If you don't have a pressure tester, you can borrow one from AutoZone/O'Reilly's.

The system should hold 15 psi for at least 30 minutes.

Once you're ready to bleed the system, make sure you have the heat set to full blast. I find it's helpful to raise the rear end of the car slightly if possible. Would highly recommend adding a self-bleed hose to your car if it doesn't have one.
    Great idea, ill grab that from Oreilly today. My AC works perfectly but ill have to check the heat. My driveway is an incline so ill park the accordingly. I dont have the self bleed set up in yet but soon will.

Thank you

My VIN:    03500

[QUOTE=artisticent;269077]
    Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    There's a small hose on the upper right side of the radiator that you need to bleed as well. Air can't travel from the radiator to the engine very well.

We installed a "T' junction valve in that location to bleed from. Thats an engine running? or engine off procedure?
    I did mine with engine off. I also installed the self bleed system. Works really well!

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 11-22-2021 at 04:49 PM.

[QUOTE=WHO1DMC;269079]
    Quote Originally Posted by artisticent View Post

I did mine with engine off. I also installed the self bleed system. Works really well!

Dave B.
    Yeh Chris M is headed over at some point to get that on for me. Until then ill be doing it manually

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast