FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Best paint for louvres?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Posts:    112

    Best paint for louvres?

    Hey folks, so I am in a great place with my car now-all mechanicals that needed it have been refreshed, the car is reliable and runs great. I am ready to tackle minor aesthetic stuff. My next thing to do is paint my rear louvres. I've found threads on the process, but not much on the actual paint. What's the ideal product for this application? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    192

    Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hey folks, so I am in a great place with my car now-all mechanicals that needed it have been refreshed, the car is reliable and runs great. I am ready to tackle minor aesthetic stuff. My next thing to do is paint my rear louvres. I've found threads on the process, but not much on the actual paint. What's the ideal product for this application? Thanks!
    SEM Trim Black

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Nov 2019

    Location:  Pittsburgh, PA

    Posts:    348

    My VIN:    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    SEM Trim Black
    Let me fix that for you: multiple cans of SEM Trim black. I bought 3 to do my louvers, and ended up using a bunch elsewhere. I suspect I'll go through 5 more before I'm done.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jan 2019

    Posts:    192

    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Let me fix that for you: multiple cans of SEM Trim black. I bought 3 to do my louvers, and ended up using a bunch elsewhere. I suspect I'll go through 5 more before I'm done.
    I bought a case of it a while back. If you have a spray gun, they sell it in quarts as well to save money.

  5. #5
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    362

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    SEM Trim Black
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Let me fix that for you: multiple cans of SEM Trim black. I bought 3 to do my louvers, and ended up using a bunch elsewhere. I suspect I'll go through 5 more before I'm done.
    Ditto & Ditto.

    And if you are like me, driving your car to work every day and it sits outside in the sun during that time, you may want to add a coat of clear to help it last a bit longer. I noticed that without the clear, the louvers will fade a bit quicker than everything else since they are on the top getting the direct sunlight. Same for windshield trim.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 96,704 miles and counting (OVER 10 yr 10 months & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 228K miles

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Posts:    112

    Thanks you guys!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Stayton, Oregon 97383

    Posts:    208

    My VIN:    10309

    Dupli color sells the clear in either gloss or flat in quart cans. Any auto store with a paint selection has them. Need a cheap gun from Harbor Freight to properly apply.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    1,307

    My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

    You'll get more durability with a 2k clear, you can get it in gloss or satin, but you MUST use a full N95 or better respirator when spraying it.

    I chose to use SEM Texture coat on the louvers before the black. It was too much texture, so I then knocked it down by lightly sanding it down. Depends on if you still have, or want any texture. Strongly suggest that you experiment on another surface before spraying the louver. I used this technique on the louvers and side mirrors. I have not applied clear but I have 2 cans of the satin and may apply that in the future.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •