FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best paint for louvres?

My VIN:    2245

The louvers are painted black from the factory, underneath they are white.

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Depending on condition, you might try to restore it rather than paint it. It?s not clear to me if the louvers are painted from factory. If it?s just the actual material they are made of, I prefer to bring it back. Kind of like the bumpers. You can check this thread if you like.

https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19861-Gtechniq
    too late for that anyways now.
    ceramic coated it.. came out ok.. hopefully holds up for awhile
    Attached Images

There was a post on Facebook about the louvres and someone used a textured paint prior to painting them with SEM trim black to mimic the original texture of them? Every car I've seen had a smooth surface on the louvres, not textured. Were they textured from the factory and over time, lost the texture?

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    There was a post on Facebook about the louvres and someone used a textured paint prior to painting them with SEM trim black to mimic the original texture of them? Every car I've seen had a smooth surface on the louvres, not textured. Were they textured from the factory and over time, lost the texture?
    My louvre is original and doesn't have a texture to it.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Probably talking about my car. David sprayed a texturizer on the louvers first before spraying SEM trim black in a paint booth. The texture is very subtle and shallow, not enough to catch on your fingernail or create lint specks from a total. I had my louvers refinished once with no texture about 20 years ago but I actually like the texture instead. I used to always feel the need to spray tire shine or something on them when it was flat. With this finish I just wipe them clean with my drying towel and don't need to put anything on them for a good look.

PXL_20231213_001508964.jpg
    PXL_20231213_001542567.jpg

PXL_20231213_002455446.jpgPXL_20231213_002500919.jpg
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    My louvre is original and doesn't have a texture to it.
    And my louver is also original but DOES have a texture.
    - Not a lot of texture but def not smooth
    - The car is an early VIN unit

The questions are what the DMC louver finish specs were and whether the specs changed during the factory run. The answers may lie in the specs/drawings/records DMC Classic holds. The DeLorean Millenium Concours pdf. says only that it must be a uniform black color.

Based on seeing Ds over the years with either a smooth or lightly textured black finish a guess is that the louver supplier made them with varying texture whether it was specified or not.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    And my louver is also original but DOES have a texture.
    - Not a lot of texture but def not smooth
    - The car is an early VIN unit

The questions are what the DMC louver finish specs were and whether the specs changed during the factory run. The answers may lie in the specs/drawings/records DMC Classic holds. The DeLorean Millenium Concours pdf. says only that it must be a uniform black color.

Based on seeing Ds over the years with either a smooth or lightly textured black finish a guess is that the louver supplier made them with varying texture whether it was specified or not.
    Ha, I too consulted the Millennium Concours pdf before responding but it was not definitive. I have heard from others there were two styles of louvers, one slightly textured, one smooth. Not sure where the VIN cutoff is. Maybe it was random production variation as you say.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

SEM Trim Black followed by SEM Satin Clear Color Coat

I agree with ssdelorean Shannon Y that it will be better to apply a clear coat SEM Satin Clear Color Coat on top of the SEM Trim black. The black paint on the fiberglass louvers and the black paint on the fiberglass engine cover will last much longer with a clear coat.
    I tried SEM Trim black on the three metal trim pieces that surround the windshield. Tiny rocks thrown in the air from vehicles in front of me chipped away at the paint. Later I removed the metal trim pieces and had all three powder coated semi-gloss black. The powder coat is now over ten years old and still looks fine with no defects.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    I tried SEM Trim black on the three metal trim pieces that surround the windshield. Tiny rocks thrown in the air from vehicles in front of me chipped away at the paint. Later I removed the metal trim pieces and had all three powder coated semi-gloss black. The powder coat is now over ten years old and still looks fine with no defects.
    That's the best way to tackle the windshield frames - powder coat. I'm thinking I may even install some satin PPF on my windshield surround when they get coated.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    That's the best way to tackle the windshield frames - powder coat. I'm thinking I may even install some satin PPF on my windshield surround when they get coated.
    I had my windshield side strips and header powder coated like 20 years ago, still looks great with no chips. I have read from reputable vendors that powder coating the top strip can be an issue causing irreversible warpage during the baking process. I did not experience that myself, but they say they have seen it. So perhaps some caution is needed to keep the temp low in the oven, if that is possible. I don't know enough about the process to comment any further.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2