FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best paint for louvres?

Best paint for louvres?

Hey folks, so I am in a great place with my car now-all mechanicals that needed it have been refreshed, the car is reliable and runs great. I am ready to tackle minor aesthetic stuff. My next thing to do is paint my rear louvres. I've found threads on the process, but not much on the actual paint. What's the ideal product for this application? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hey folks, so I am in a great place with my car now-all mechanicals that needed it have been refreshed, the car is reliable and runs great. I am ready to tackle minor aesthetic stuff. My next thing to do is paint my rear louvres. I've found threads on the process, but not much on the actual paint. What's the ideal product for this application? Thanks!
    SEM Trim Black

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    SEM Trim Black
    Let me fix that for you: multiple cans of SEM Trim black. I bought 3 to do my louvers, and ended up using a bunch elsewhere. I suspect I'll go through 5 more before I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Let me fix that for you: multiple cans of SEM Trim black. I bought 3 to do my louvers, and ended up using a bunch elsewhere. I suspect I'll go through 5 more before I'm done.
    I bought a case of it a while back. If you have a spray gun, they sell it in quarts as well to save money.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    SEM Trim Black
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Ditto & Ditto.

And if you are like me, driving your car to work every day and it sits outside in the sun during that time, you may want to add a coat of clear to help it last a bit longer. I noticed that without the clear, the louvers will fade a bit quicker than everything else since they are on the top getting the direct sunlight. Same for windshield trim.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Thanks you guys!!

My VIN:    10309

Dupli color sells the clear in either gloss or flat in quart cans. Any auto store with a paint selection has them. Need a cheap gun from Harbor Freight to properly apply.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You'll get more durability with a 2k clear, you can get it in gloss or satin, but you MUST use a full N95 or better respirator when spraying it.

I chose to use SEM Texture coat on the louvers before the black. It was too much texture, so I then knocked it down by lightly sanding it down. Depends on if you still have, or want any texture. Strongly suggest that you experiment on another surface before spraying the louver. I used this technique on the louvers and side mirrors. I have not applied clear but I have 2 cans of the satin and may apply that in the future.

My VIN:    nov 81

thought i would try and bring out spots and discoloration with some wax and made it worse. the wax ended up taking off most of what po had put on. I wet sanded it 1200 grit and ordered the same paint suggested from this thread. goes on pretty smooth. worth the xtra money. here is before and after with one light coat.. I will hit it at least one more time... Pretty happy with result..
    I ordered some of the ceremic coat that LSC uses. I will send before and after pics once received. going to go over all the black trim and louvers. Im not going to do the stainless

Dave
    Attached Images

Depending on condition, you might try to restore it rather than paint it. It?s not clear to me if the louvers are painted from factory. If it?s just the actual material they are made of, I prefer to bring it back. Kind of like the bumpers. You can check this thread if you like.

https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19861-Gtechniq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast