FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Popping out of second

Popping out of second

Hey all

I have a weird issue which has happens once or twice in last 2 years. I am driving along and it will pop out of second (mainly on decel). It kept doing it but when I changed to 4th and back it stopped doing it and was fine. Any ideas what’s going on? It’s almost like it gets itself into a half gear.

Cheers

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hey all

I have a weird issue which has happens once or twice in last 2 years. I am driving along and it will pop out of second (mainly on decel). It kept doing it but when I changed to 4th and back it stopped doing it and was fine. Any ideas what’s going on? It’s almost like it gets itself into a half gear.

Cheers
    Sounds like the infamous second gear roll pin issue, but generally that mean it won't stay in second gear at all, not just intermittently. Have you ever had your transmission opened and had the pin replaced? Maybe it's damaged somehow but not broken-broken.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Hmmm thanks I had my suspicions about the roll pin. The odd thing is that it is intermittent and is fine if I move to 4th then back. For those of you much more clever than me I’ve seen diagrams and photos of the roll pin but I’m struggling to visualise what it does and what happens if it breaks? Can someone educate me? Thanks!

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Hmmm thanks I had my suspicions about the roll pin. The odd thing is that it is intermittent and is fine if I move to 4th then back. For those of you much more clever than me I’ve seen diagrams and photos of the roll pin but I’m struggling to visualise what it does and what happens if it breaks? Can someone educate me? Thanks!
    This happened on my car two or three times the first year I owned it. It has not happened again in the last 16 years.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    This happened on my car two or three times the first year I owned it. It has not happened again in the last 16 years.
    Thanks. That sounds like me. Mine did it two years ago once then just again this week. Looking closer at the roll pin operation I would have thought if shared off it would be spongy going into second all the time.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Might be a good idea to check the condition of the bushings on the shift rods. There are two of them where the rod ends attach to the bell crank in the tunnel, near the accumulator. Worn bushings or miss-adjusted rods can allow the car to pop out of gear.

Going after the 2nd gear roll pin is major surgery; best to make sure it isn't something simple.

Edit: There are bushings at all four rod ends, not just in the tunnel
    Last edited by Ethan Rode; 12-01-2021 at 03:18 AM.