FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Removal of Passenger Side Speaker Trim Piece

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Removal of Passenger Side Speaker Trim Piece

I need to check for a loose part in the passenger side speaker panel/Trim piece. I did a quick glance to see how it might come out and saw only one screw at the top of the panel. What's the best way to remove this? Are there more screws?
    Shannon

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I need to check for a loose part in the passenger side speaker panel/Trim piece. I did a quick glance to see how it might come out and saw only one screw at the top of the panel. What's the best way to remove this? Are there more screws?
    There may be 3-4 screws in each of the corners. But you'll need to take a heat gun to the trim under the weatherstripping and remove the seat belt.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This thread tells how to get that trim piece out without wrecking it. Do NOT cut the vinyl flap off the front edge of it for removal.

Post #2 there includes a link to a step-by-step doc with photos. Each of those posts gives some details. Take it slowly and you'll be OK.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I did this job in the spring. I highly second the heat gun recommendation. If you have a helper, you can have someone heat it as you gently peel the plastic off the adhesive. It may be very brittle (mine was) and you may lose some but it is mostly hidden behind the rubber door trim. Rich is right, don't cut it. It helps to have some of the plastic there to use adhesive on when you go to reheat and reinstall. It was time consuming, but not hard. Good luck.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    I did this job in the spring. I highly second the heat gun recommendation. If you have a helper, you can have someone heat it as you gently peel the plastic off the adhesive. It may be very brittle (mine was) and you may lose some but it is mostly hidden behind the rubber door trim. Rich is right, don't cut it. It helps to have some of the plastic there to use adhesive on when you go to reheat and reinstall. It was time consuming, but not hard. Good luck.
    It was actually more of a process on my project; the PO had added a layer of RTV sealant on top and some extra screws holding everything together (not that well). Hopefully when I do reassembly it'll be more correct.

Anyway, when you do this you'll want to be replacing the rear speakers; if they've never been done, they'll be trash.