FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Idler bearings...

My VIN:    15275

Idler bearings...

so i just replaced my idler pulley bearings with nice skf bearings i got locally..when tight there is some slop in them.. i dont remember if they are all like that or if my spindles are slightly worn to make this happen.. also how tight is the nut on the back supposd to be? i put blue locktight on it and also used a new nut etc.... maybe i will put the brackets in a vise and give another little crank to them to see if they snug up? i dont really feel like spending almost 50 bucks for the spindles...Dave...

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I don’t see a torque value in the manual.
    Each time I’ve removed/installed the idler pulleys I’m pretty sure I just went with german torque (goodntight).
    They should not wobble at all.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

well..

i had another owner check his and they do have some play in them and also talked to mike at midwest and yes they all have some play in them so its normal...

My VIN:    3937

Just curious, as I have new replacement bearings for my own idler pulleys... how did you remove the old bearings and then install the new ones? And I mean did you need any special tools or presses or anything like that? My pulleys aren't necessarily in perfect condition, but I hadn't gotten around to buying new ones yet. Not sure if I need to. Either way, would still need to get the new bearings in there and wondered what the procedure is. Thanks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just curious, as I have new replacement bearings for my own idler pulleys... how did you remove the old bearings and then install the new ones? And I mean did you need any special tools or presses or anything like that? My pulleys aren't necessarily in perfect condition, but I hadn't gotten around to buying new ones yet. Not sure if I need to. Either way, would still need to get the new bearings in there and wondered what the procedure is. Thanks.
    Me too. The top one is a bit wobbly. I snapped the tabs on the circlip, and haven't been able to get it out - any suggestions? And the nut is more than "gutentight", more like "toodamntight", so haven't been able to get it off either.

hi

put the bracket in a vise and take the nut off that way.. other than that its just a circlip on front and back.. and they press in with the tap of a rubber mallet pretty easily...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    put the bracket in a vise and take the nut off that way.. other than that its just a circlip on front and back.. and they press in with the tap of a rubber mallet pretty easily...
    Beauty, thanks. Sounds simple. Now getting the rest of the A/C system up to par is another matter...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior