FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Anyone in Las Vegas able to help with binnacle removal?

My VIN:    2903

Anyone in Las Vegas able to help with binnacle removal?

I've got what seems to be a blown dash battery light and need to remove the binnacle in order to replace it, however I can't seem to reach the 2 center nuts near the steering column. Is anyone in the Las Vegas area able to help me with this? I would gladly pay for your labor. I've been stuck without a working car for months now, and nobody seems to be willing to help me.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by snex View Post
    I've got what seems to be a blown dash battery light and need to remove the binnacle in order to replace it, however I can't seem to reach the 2 center nuts near the steering column. Is anyone in the Las Vegas area able to help me with this? I would gladly pay for your labor. I've been stuck without a working car for months now, and nobody seems to be willing to help me.
    If you've not done so already, its easy to remove the drivers seat and get better positioned to reach those nuts. I've done it, anyone can.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Too bad you weren't at Delorean Weekend in October. We certainly could've helped then.

I've had the best luck with a standard length 7mm nut driver. I'm able to get all the fasteners without crawling under the dash. As you know, those fasteners aren't easy to see, so you're doing it blind, kind of.

Hope this helps

My VIN:    2903

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    If you've not done so already, its easy to remove the drivers seat and get better positioned to reach those nuts. I've done it, anyone can.
    Yes, I've done this. I still cannot get these last 2 nuts. One of them seems to spin the whole bolt rather than unscrewing, and the other one I cannot even reach at all. I have also removed the air duct that is in the way, so I don't understand why I am having this trouble when no one else seems to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Rode
    Too bad you weren't at Delorean Weekend in October. We certainly could've helped then.
    I talked to the people running this, and they seemed very disinterested in helping me, as opposed to getting me to pay them some money to attend the meetup or whatever - as well as asking inappropriate private medical questions on their signup form. I obviously could not attend anyway with a car that doesn't start. If you live in town, would you be willing to help me out?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by snex View Post
    Yes, I've done this. I still cannot get these last 2 nuts. One of them seems to spin the whole bolt rather than unscrewing, and the other one I cannot even reach at all. I have also removed the air duct that is in the way, so I don't understand why I am having this trouble when no one else seems to.
    Oh, I think everyone else has had trouble with this. As with so much on the car, it's hard first time.

4 of the nuts are on studs (I have brackets on my desk right now). For some reason I thought all 6 were, but I forget exactly how it all goes
    back together. But yes, removing the two knee bolsters is wise (or even necessary). And when you finally get it all out, then I recommend wing nuts in place for
    next time (which there will be, trust me) on both the bolsters and binnacle. Although they're a bit tricky to get into the two spots on the top-middle of the passenger side one
    (which are you aren't dealing with now).

As for the spinning, you're going to need to find the top of the bolt and get a small wrench in there. Sorry. If you get really desperate, then
    perhaps also the steering column, but I'd try to avoid that unless you are also doing the steering bushing. If you can get some pictures, that might
    help us help you.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I’m in Vegas. PMing you my #. Text me.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays