FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Locked keys in car…. Locksmiths can’t help

Another thing you could try is if you have someone you know that owns a delorean close by, longshot i know but i have seen it before on older cars where a key from another car can unlock strangely only one of the doors so try both,, wont do ignition barrell tho but you dont need that ofcourse you just need in.

Another thing do you have breakdown cover, may sound mad as you have had 3 locksmiths out but in the uk we have the AA rac and others, they are usually quite good at getting in, they call the office and at some point someone nationwide will have been locked out of a delorean so the breakdown mechanic will log it at HQ what they did or how they got in to help the next poor sod.

Good luck... xmas eve aswell mad..

Quote Originally Posted by M@rty View Post
    U would have thought a 40 year old car lock would have been easily picked aswell..

I take it there is no way of getting a coat hanger in past the rubber to open the handle inside?

With a lot of modern cars with standard doors you can bend the top of the door out with a small airbag and get in with something like a coathanger straightened out and open the inside latch with a bit of skill providing there is no deadlock system on.

With a delorean tho with its stainless steel and gullwing door design thats not happening i dont think.
    It’s been tried, no one can get in.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

That's a tough one.
    Among the ideas so far a "real" lockpicker is best, somebody who can align the tumblers and rotate the linkage to unlock it non-destructively, followed by getting a new key cut by James at DMCH. That would have to happen later, after you tow the car out of your driveway since it will take time for the key to get there.

I don't think there's any way around the drop glass to poke at the linkage, assuming both of the windows are tightly closed.

Breaking any glass will be expensive and time-consuming to clean and repair. Either of the drop glasses are the cheapest targets. I'd do that only if the drop glass was due for replacement anyway (scratched/damaged). Or if I was in a big hurry and the difficulty of repair was acceptable. Or if James can't cut a key due to lack of a code at his end.

There's a way to pop a locked trunk but no non-destructive way from the trunk into the cabin as far as I know.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Any info would be appreciated
    That's all I have.

If your DLM is connected, battery charged, and the locks work, you could pull the drivers wheel and hit the fiberglass body with a rubber mallet to see if you can trigger it.
    If the battery is dead you'd need to crawl under the back/bottom and connect a charger.

This shows the locations of the switch so you know where to concentrate:
    https://www.delorean.com/pdf/DELOREA...r-Bulletin.pdf

This free, possibly terrible advice comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 12-24-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That mallet trick only works if, as already mentioned, everything is in working condition AND the inertia switch is NOT mounted on the Lambda counter. You need to find a locksmith that can get a tool inside and move the door locking control on the opposite door. The way to try it is to use wedges on a door on the upper back corner and get an air bag in. Once you pump it up and get enough room you go for a long tool and try to unlock the opposite door. Caveat, I have not tried this on a Delorean but it does work on other cars. Plan B might be trying a Slim Jim if you have one and know how to use it and get lucky. Drilling out the lock would be Plan C. Do the driver's door, that one gets the most use so it is the most worn. If you have the 2 key system this would be the time to go to the 1 key system anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2678

Wasn't there some advice how to get the power windows working with some modifications in the engine compartment? And then to use a long coathanger or something similar where the speedo cable enters the car to open the windows? Then you should be able to open the doors.
    Always a filled fuel tank.

My VIN:    10855

It'll be a long job but if you remove the t panel you'll be able to short out the door locks or window by the door harness.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That mallet trick only works if, as already mentioned, everything is in working condition AND the inertia switch is NOT mounted on the Lambda counter. You need to find a locksmith that can get a tool inside and move the door locking control on the opposite door. The way to try it is to use wedges on a door on the upper back corner and get an air bag in. Once you pump it up and get enough room you go for a long tool and try to unlock the opposite door. Caveat, I have not tried this on a Delorean but it does work on other cars. Plan B might be trying a Slim Jim if you have one and know how to use it and get lucky. Drilling out the lock would be Plan C. Do the driver's door, that one gets the most use so it is the most worn. If you have the 2 key system this would be the time to go to the 1 key system anyway.
    I thought of the airbag too but thought that would damage the car even if was possible due to the deloreans design..

Found this on youtube

EJFSanchez2
    EJFSanchez2
    1 year ago
    Wasn’t there a trick where you hit behind rear wheel well near the door. Do it a certain way and lift the door open. Kind of like how in the old days if you hit the top of a newspaper stand and pull the door you can unlatch the door.
    Stockholm Delorean
    Stockholm Delorean
    1 year ago
    Thx. There is an "inertia switch" in the driver side footwell, which is supposed to open the doors and cut of the fuel pump in case of impact. Mine is however by-passed. And also, it only works if the battery is connected, and mine is not at the moment.

Was that what you meant with the mallet trick?

Other thing is how hard is the back window to replace,, must be plenty of bttf builders with spares as they are removed once the car is modified..

Found this aswell

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/sho...20757#pid20757
    Last edited by M@rty; 12-24-2021 at 06:27 PM.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Acmetowers View Post
    It'll be a long job but if you remove the t panel you'll be able to short out the door locks or window by the door harness.

You would have to cut six screws three on each side of the panel. There behind the outer door seal witch is glued on. That's of course you are using the outer door seal. I know of one person that isn't. So that's why I said it.

So this would be a very invasive removal!

Dave B.

My VIN:    10855

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    You would have to cut six screws three on each side of the panel. There behind the outer door seal witch is glued on. That's of course you are using the outer door seal. I know of one person that isn't. So that's why I said it.

So this would be a very invasive removal!

Dave B.
    Good point forgot about those!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast