FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Locked keys in car…. Locksmiths can’t help

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

1. Jack up the front driver side of car.

2. Remove front tire.

3. Remove grommet where the speedometer cable enters the car.

4. Have a locksmith, AAA, or whoever you trust to come onsite with one of those fancy metal rods for pushing buttons.

5. Insert rod in the hole.

6. Start a video call between your phone and locksmith's.

7. Point your phone at the unlock rocker switch.

8. Have the locksmith guy use his tool to press the front of the unlock switch.

It worked for me. If this ever happens to you again, it could work for you.
    There is a way to do this without any phone (still not sure why that works anyway) but involves powering up a wire at the engine. I have done this myself but your operating the window switch. If anyone needs it, I can dig out the instructions. And I am an Auto Locksmith, best piece of advice: as wrote above and applies to any car new or old GET A SPARE KEY. Time and time again I go to jobs where the customer says "I was gonna get a spare but the dealer/locksmith wanted $200/£300/£400+, I wasn't gonna pay that" (clearly does not apply to a DeLorean)! I re-key lots of DeLoreans and can cut from code if required.
    Chris
    C
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

I know you got into your car already, but, if you called DMCH and gave them your VIN (they probably want proof you own the car as well), they could cut you a key from their VIN/Key database they have. Not every single car is on it, but a good lot are.

I had a broken key and I just sent them my VIN and got a new key in the mail...this was 11 years ago.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I know you got into your car already, but, if you called DMCH and gave them your VIN (they probably want proof you own the car as well), they could cut you a key from their VIN/Key database they have. Not every single car is on it, but a good lot are.

I had a broken key and I just sent them my VIN and got a new key in the mail...this was 11 years ago.
    Yes, or you can order blanks and get them cut locally; will cost you about $15 all up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Yes, or you can order blanks and get them cut locally; will cost you about $15 all up.
    Does the local shop have the car key codes based on VIN number? Local is a perfect solution if you have the physical key or a picture of the key to get cut, not so much if said key is locked in the car like the OP posted.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Does the local shop have the car key codes based on VIN number? Local is a perfect solution if you have the physical key or a picture of the key to get cut, not so much if said key is locked in the car like the OP posted.
    Looks like you didn't have your coffee yet this morning. The context you mentioned, and what I quoted, is having access to the car. Obviously.

HTH.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4