FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starter shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I had two different Oreillys in two states tell me it is not. I guess they don’t know how to operate their computer.
    That is a possibility. The new hire prospects isn’t very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Good catch, I didn't notice the mounting configuration in the photo. I'm guessing it's just a stock photo. I could order the starter and see what I get, and if it's not right tell them to send it back.

Not that I really need to start it right now but it would be nice to have the smaller one to free up some room under my headers and always good to have a backup on the shelf.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    The smaller one is nice because you don’t have to remove the oil filter to change starters. It’s still very tight under my headers. (DPI)

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    That is a possibility. The new hire prospects isn’t very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Does the store that replaces a starter in warranty lose any money? I was wondering if they just didn’t “want” to find me in the computer because they didn’t want to lose money when they didn’t sell it to me.

My VIN:    11596

I have DMCH stage 1 headers. Would I have to remove that side of the exhaust to get the starter out? I remember I changed solenoids out no problem but the starter was going to be an issue. I see you have to remove the DPI header but can anyone confirm the DMCH style?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I have DMCH stage 1 headers. Would I have to remove that side of the exhaust to get the starter out? I remember I changed solenoids out no problem but the starter was going to be an issue. I see you have to remove the DPI header but can anyone confirm the DMCH style?
    While I have no first hand experience doing this job, many years ago I had a conversation with Don Steger regarding how bulky the stage 1 exhaust headers were (citing it as one of the reasons that I went with the UK stainless exhaust instead). At the time he said that yes, the stage 1 RH header does interfere with starter removal and must be removed, or at least significantly loosened to do a starter change out. Our conversation did not delineate between big/small starters so I'm not sure if that makes a difference -- though I would imagine having the smaller starter helps.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    While I have no first hand experience doing this job, many years ago I had a conversation with Don Steger regarding how bulky the stage 1 exhaust headers were (citing it as one of the reasons that I went with the UK stainless exhaust instead). At the time he said that yes, the stage 1 RH header does interfere with starter removal and must be removed, or at least significantly loosened to do a starter change out. Our conversation did not delineate between big/small starters so I'm not sure if that makes a difference -- though I would imagine having the smaller starter helps.
    Thanks. I'll have to have a fresh manifold gasket and cat gasket on hand before I do this then.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

As of 30 seconds ago, Rockauto shows 4 starter options available.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    As of 30 seconds ago, Rockauto shows 4 starter options available.
    4 options or 4 starters? Didn’t know there were 4 options. Is the Eagle considered the best option?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    4 options or 4 starters? Didn’t know there were 4 options. Is the Eagle considered the best option?
    I see three different remanufactured starters at Rockauto (searching for a 1990 or 91 Eagle Premier)

I bought a Mitsubishi Electrics brand starter cross-referenced to 90-91 Eagle Premier from Autozone four years ago. No problems to report
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I see three different remanufactured starters at Rockauto (searching for a 1990 or 91 Eagle Premier)

I bought a Mitsubishi Electrics brand starter cross-referenced to 90-91 Eagle Premier from Autozone four years ago. No problems to report
    You're lucky. I bought one from Autozone and I was able to start the car with it once. I returned it and they refunded me full price. Luckily I have an Eagle premiere engine that I am going to work on to do a swap in a year or two so I borrowed the starter from there in the mean time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast