FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Starter shortage?

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    You're lucky. I bought one from Autozone and I was able to start the car with it once. I returned it and they refunded me full price. Luckily I have an Eagle premiere engine that I am going to work on to do a swap in a year or two so I borrowed the starter from there in the mean time.
    That sucks. At least they gave you your money back. I figure if mine goes that's what the lifetime warranty is for.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    That sucks. At least they gave you your money back. I figure if mine goes that's what the lifetime warranty is for.
    Well the one good thing from it, I found out I was able to replace the starter without removing the exhaust heads or oil filter, I have the DPI system. I was able to remove the starter, pull it towards the oil filter to clear the transmission bell housing and then snake it through towards the back of the engine (towards the transmission). You have to rotate the starter a bit to clear it all. Installing the other one, I just performed those steps in reverse order.

Not to beat a dead horse but I can’t find a starter from O’Reilly’s through the links. When I search it shows two options and they are Ultima Brand. Anyone know the difference between the two?
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevino08 View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but I can’t find a starter from O’Reilly’s through the links. When I search it shows two options and they are Ultima Brand. Anyone know the difference between the two?
    I can't see the part numbers in your attachment, but I can see that the upper one is not correct (two vertical bolts). The lower one looks correct and should be part number R612473A.

Thank you!! I should've seen that. I guess I was too tired! All the previous posts had said Remy was the preferred brand but this is Ultima. Any input?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevino08 View Post
    Thank you!! I should've seen that. I guess I was too tired! All the previous posts had said Remy was the preferred brand but this is Ultima. Any input?
    YW!
    "Remy", or Delco-Remy, has a popular D replacement alternator...

The Ultima R612473B is a very popular D replacement starter.
    Check out the pic showing an original and an Ultima with the simple modification required HERE.
    (Try it, you'll like it ;-)

My VIN:    4665

There's a place right by me that repairs alternators and starters, Essentially anything DC.

Top notch work and will be the first place I use when I need something rebuilt. Been around since 1963.

https://hansautoelectric.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3