FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starter shortage?

Starter shortage?

Awhile back I bought a Eagle starter to replace my OEM. I got it at the zone with a lifetime warranty. Of course, that warranty is not real good because none of the Zones stock them. So I bought another of the same. This allows me to replace a non working starter immediately and get it replaced at the zone when they get one in. If I take a long trip, I carry an extra starter and alternator so those items canÂ’t shut me down.

So, a couple weeks ago I knoticed my starter was clicking during start. I figured it was only a matter of time til it quit. I changed it out with my spare and took the weak one back to get warranty. Autozone told me they donÂ’t have another one in stock in the warehouse. When I asked about the warranty, they said they would refund my money. They said if they do that, my bad starter would go to the rebuild place and I could buy it again later. But they couldnÂ’t garrentee that it wont get bought by someone else. I decided to keep it for now.

Has anybody else run into this? Not sure if the starter is just that rare or maybe this is part of the supply chain problems in the Biden economy.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Google it...

At O'Reilly, near you :

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=R612473B
    Last edited by Ron; 01-04-2022 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fix Link

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Covid has been every business's "scapegoat" since the spring of 2020.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Google it...

At O'Reilly, near you :
    I may have to, but Oreillys doesn’t have a national data base. So if you buy something in your local store, the Oreillys a thousand miles away can’t find your name. This is true for advanced auto also. I’m not saying you can’t eventually get your warranty, but it’s harder. This doesn’t matter to most people, but I keep my vehicles along time. I’ve gotten several alternators and starters for my truck over the years.

Not true at all. I ran a couple Oreilly stores. The customer database is company wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    Not true at all. I ran a couple Oreilly stores. The customer database is company wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had two different Oreillys in two states tell me it is not. I guess they don’t know how to operate their computer.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Google it...

At O'Reilly, near you :
    This starter is plug-and-play and needs to modifications to work on a stock engine? This is the "small" starter people are using instead of the old Paris Rhone? If so I might grab one.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    This starter is plug-and-play and needs to modifications to work on a stock engine? This is the "small" starter people are using instead of the old Paris Rhone? If so I might grab one.
    You want the 88’ Eagle Premier starter. When I clicked that link, the text suggested it was, but the picture was not. (It had side mount bolts where as ours mounts with bolts on the end) It maybe that they just have a file photo.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    You want the 88’ Eagle Premier starter. When I clicked that link, the text suggested it was, but the picture was not. (It had side mount bolts where as ours mounts with bolts on the end) It maybe that they just have a file photo.
    Good catch, I didn't notice the mounting configuration in the photo. I'm guessing it's just a stock photo. I could order the starter and see what I get, and if it's not right tell them to send it back.

Not that I really need to start it right now but it would be nice to have the smaller one to free up some room under my headers and always good to have a backup on the shelf.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Try this link: https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=R612473B

And it does require a simple modification -- You have to add a pigtail as shown HERE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast