FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Washing the DeLorean

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Washing the DeLorean

Decided to wash the D today. The panels were starting to look kind of streaky and dull, probably from years of stainless cleaners on the panels.

I know a lot of you like the "Bar Keeper's Friend" solution, and have seen some amazing pictures of cars washed with it, but I personally don't like it. The car still has traces of powdery residue in unreachable nooks and crannies, from the one time I tried it.

So I proceeded to wash as a conventionally as possible, with Dawn and water, which interestingly enough I had never really done before, and instead had been using stainless cleaners. Anyway a good old soap and water wash, rinse, drying (each step with the grain), turned out some very good results; the panels look a lot better now. Check it out:

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Looks really sharp. I find the best results from using good old Windex. Twice a year I like to take it to the power wash and hand spray the undercarriage and outside to get all the dust and dirt out of the cracks, etc. But for overall shine and cleaning, windex still does the trick.

T.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You should try using a car wash soap. They are much milder and a lot easier to wash off. They leave no scummy soap residue. Depending on how hard the water is some will work with hard water so you don't get any spotting. Usually costs no more than dishwashing soap and you can get it at most auto stores. I prefer the Griot's Garage line of products but any good car soap will do. I use VERY hot water and a sponge. It removes all of the tree sap, pollen, grease and dirt. For the more stubborn grease and dirt on the lower parts of the car I go over it after washing with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (again from GG). I like Windex too for spot cleaning. Alcohol also works well. After washing the car I go over all of the glass with glass cleaner (Perfect Glass). If the black on the bumpers or the rear sunshade is very faded Black Again works great.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Very nice!

I'll do BKF powder, but only as part of the cleaning. After that scrub, I always re-wash the car to make sure all the residue is completely gone. I used to be a big Griot's user on my past cars as well. Lots of good stuff.

For quick detailing, i've been using Dodo Juice Red Mist. Smells good, and leaves the fascias nice and slick.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Sometimes I just use engine cleaner at the self serve car wash. It works nice too.

My VIN:    5875

Looks sharp. I've used the BKF and was very happy with the results. I bought both the powder and the liquid. I used the powder on the hood as it neeeded it the most. I did find the power residue was a bit more challenging to get rid of than the liquid residue.

The key I think to using the BKF and not having any residue when done is in the rinsing. I rinsed my car like crazy after using it. powerblast spray all the nooks and crannies for an exdented period of time and you'll have almost zero residue. Of all the cleaning of done to the car, the BKF gave the most noticable and "wowing" results.

The good news is, it's not something that has to be done everytime you clean the car, regular cleanings with a good soap should keep it looking nice. I'd estimate maybe using BKF 2 times a year. Once in the beginning of the driving season and once before storing away.
    Andy Garand

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I just picked up some powdered BKF. Do you simply use it with the blending pad or is there some other trick involved?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Alright... Hold the presses!

Hold the presses folks... I just found the best stainless steel cleaner I have ever used. Having tried the usual products DeLorean owners recommend, I was really impressed by this stuff called "Twinkle" (sprays on as a light foam - safe if oversprayed on painted areas by accident as well I'm told). It was recommended by Dave and Tom from the Long Island club. With one wipe, it cut through heavy fingerprints and left a completely streak-free surface. I think I'm sold on it and throwing the other cleaners away. Quick and easy! I haven't found it in stores but can order online. As a side, I have also been loving a product called "Black Again" for the louvres and all black painted/unpainted surfaces. Rich black color. I have also found that it doesn't just wash away like other similar products - this one is UV activated. Just thought I would pass that along! I guess you know you are a D owner if you get this excited about a stainless steel cleaner...
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Weinmans and California Blade

I still like weinmans stainless cleaner the best.After a good soapy wash with a good rinse then the blade,sun dry and the weinmans.No residue and good even shine.Once or twice a year though i will break out a degreaser,before washing.6864.

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by steve6864 View Post
    I still like weinmans stainless cleaner the best.After a good soapy wash with a good rinse then the blade,sun dry and the weinmans.No residue and good even shine.Once or twice a year though i will break out a degreaser,before washing.6864.
    I'll check that one out - that is one I have heard of but never tried out, thanks for the input! I was just blown away at Twinkle after trying like 10 other products, had to spread the word to the gang! Let me know if you have tried Twinkle and what you think in comparison. So many horrible stainless cleaner products out there... My wallet can certainly back me up on that.
    Last edited by kajcienski; 09-04-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast