FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bolt sheared off rear fascia... Suggestions wanted.

My VIN:    10207

Question Bolt sheared off rear fascia... Suggestions wanted.

Hi guys,

I was looking to remove the rear fascia for better acces to the engine when I sheared off one of the bolts that hold the fascia to the body below the rear quarter panel. This little thing:
    DSC_0480.jpg
    Used to sit here:
    DSC_0481.jpg

Question is: Is this possible to repair, if so: How?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Better pictures

Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Yes, easy enough. You need to dremel out or otherwise remove the stud, and then replace:

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...mper-bolt.html

My VIN:    3937

If I'm not mistaken, there are nine places where those threaded studs go. Seven of them in the centre of the fascia that secure the lower edge of this support strip (https://store.delorean.com/101764-re...t-bracket.html) and then one more on each side for the skirting.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there are nine places where those threaded studs go. Seven of them in the centre of the fascia that secure the lower edge of this support strip (https://store.delorean.com/101764-re...t-bracket.html) and then one more on each side for the skirting.
    19! 7 on the bottom skirt, and then 6 each side. Ask me how I know and how I didn't order enough. More on the front spoiler and front fascia of course.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Yes, easy enough. You need to dremel out or otherwise remove the stud, and then replace:

This is the way.

In some cases breaking the studs seems to be unavoidable if they are really rusty. Just go as slow as you can and try to clean the threads as much as possible before attempting removal. Penetrating oil seems to help if you let it sit and work in long enough. The worst part is not being able to use heat since the studs are molded into the plastic fascia.
    Last edited by Mark D; 01-11-2022 at 09:37 AM.

My VIN:    3937

19! 7 on the bottom skirt, and then 6 each side. Ask me how I know and how I didn't order enough. More on the front spoiler and front fascia of course.
    Wow, no kidding. I had a sneaking suspicion I was light on my total. I hadn't realized there were six on each side though. I got thinking it was two on each side plus the seven in the middle. I think I ordered these more than once too and am still short. Only one of my seven in the middle are still attached. Been putting off doing this job figuring I need to get it perfect. Probably don't and done is better than loose with the parts still in a baggie.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This is the way.

In some cases breaking the studs seems to be unavoidable if they are really rusty. Just go as slow as you can and try to clean the threads as much as possible before attempting removal. Penetrating oil seems to help if you let it sit and work in long enough. The worst part is not being able to use heat since the studs are molded into the plastic fascia.
    Yeah, I should propably have gone slower. Did use WD-40 to soften up the rust, but apparently not enough, and/or not slow enough.

Thank you

Nice to know, I was sort of thinking this was a big problem. Apparently not. I'll have that ordered right away. Thanks for the link.

Just did the same thing on my car. Sprayed all of them down with Kroil but every one snapped off.

I was looking at the DeLorean that that got the twin turbo engine swapped into it has stainless steel Allen head bolts through the fascia. Actually doesn't look too bad. 257464208_254331233422461_6909420993921988875_n.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast