FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: resurfacing rubber center console piece?

resurfacing rubber center console piece?

Hey folks, I did some digging in old threads, but frankly there's a lot that comes up with "center console" search terms.

I have my center console out to replace the leather(have the kit). While it's apart, I am considering resurfacing the rectangular center piece that has a molded rubber surface. It's not shot, but it's starting to crack and show wear. I now see that this isn't leather covered, but looks to be molded rubber that has a faux leather finish to it. Is there a way to restore this piece? Thanks if so!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To begin, the car only had leather "seating surfaces", leather pull straps on the doors, leather on the steering wheel and the 5-speeds had a leather shifter boot. If your car has leather anywhere else it was not done at the factory. All of the other surfaces that don't have fabric (the headliner for example) are vinyl or plastic. There are vinyl repair kits or you can send it out to places like Just Dashes that can replace the foam and vinyl covering but they are expensive. The vinyl cracks because the foam underneath cracks. The binnacle is usually the first to go because it gets the most sun. Maybe, because you are covering the console in leather, you could remove the vinyl and cover that pad with leather.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks. Did not know that this was a part installed later. My car 05257 has it. Probably was installed by DMCH.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Notice how David T's rant fails to even address the correct part. We're talking about the console cover, often called the console arm rest:

https://store.delorean.com/108239-ce...est-black.html

Which may aid your searches (although most of the matches will end up being to the side bolsters). People have definitely restored these,
    but I don't know what techniques have been used. I have a black one that looked really funky, and ended up painting it; it came out sorta OK but I'm sure you could do better.
    I may have a gray one for sale too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Well, that's something else again, and as the note says, often wasn't installed at the factory. Anyway, it's not visible; it's for noise.

If it were me, I'd be asking Steve Bano:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5337...93750900976603

My VIN:    16795

I used something like this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-STITC...-/232027615386

I can't remember if I got it from this seller or somewhere else, but it was basically a pre-stitched leather cover that goes over the old rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

I can't remember if I got it from this seller or somewhere else, but it was basically a pre-stitched leather cover that goes over the old rubber.
    How does it look? Any close photos of it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

this is probably my best option. sadly ordered the center console from same seller, but i'll put an order in for this. thanks!!!

My VIN:    10309

I painted mine to match the grey of the console sides. You have to use vinyl paint and I also recommend a plastic adhesion paint as a primer. It will fill
    the small cracks and match the interior.

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    How does it look? Any close photos of it?

Thanks
    IMG_20220116_140632033.jpg

Ignore the dirt. The car is a with children daily driver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast