FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Console 2.0

Console 2.0

Warning! Purists do not proceed. All others have a look.

I was surprised to find no cup holders on my D. My wife can’t go anywhere without a drink and I like a place to put one too. So I checked out what was available and eventually designed my own. I came up with this.

BE9D6BD4-2480-4442-BEAE-00C5628B1774.jpg

It served my needs, but I wanted more. Specifically, I wanted some hidden storage in a center console. I figured I could design something that would incorporate everything I want. First thing I did was remove this.

490183FE-A3D1-4502-8021-A6B77538745D.jpg

I thought about cutting this up to make my new console, but I wanted to be able to go back if I didn’t like what I built. So it went on the shelf. That left me with this.

519030CF-8DBE-4225-8EBF-5A5228E63777.jpg

I was amazed that the hump cover was made basically of cardboard. I would have liked to cut some of it out for room, but again I wanted to be able to return to stock. I was worried if I cut it, it maybe too weak. The first order of the day was to get a shape to hold the window switches. I came up with this.

695514C1-E6AC-4593-8A5F-FEB94BA4E71A.jpg

Then I made the same shape 7 1/2” wide.

4B163661-39B4-4E1A-814E-221A9FF62964.jpg

Made some end covers and fit it.

9F385493-FFBA-44A9-B155-9D9255E6A19C.jpg

The hump cover really has no strength. I really have to recommend nobody lean on your stock console. So I made this Z bracket to hold up the back of my console. It bolts to the stock mount bolts and can remain even if I go back to stock.

22ECC72E-4E64-4226-8DFD-870A6A2A7604.jpg

I proceeded to make a long box to attach on the back.

CA3D4E6C-3E3D-4F61-9858-E6F6851BE99C.jpg

Cutting these holes was a bugger.

D380F6F5-7E60-418A-B0A6-7D922F3CEE7E.jpg

After a bit of trimming and filing, it didn’t look to bad.

4B2C4366-BCE0-4078-AD6A-3FCC606CA8B9.jpg

Next item on the agenda was the cigarette lighter socket. I don’t smoke and do not allow smoking in my car, but I wanted the socket for accessories. I donÂ’t like the looks of it in the stock location. So I made a mount inside the console.

17E44A84-312D-49CE-AD04-6FE7573AD914.jpg

Finally, I made a top cover with holes for the cups.

FDE695B6-1EF2-4EC2-A08C-90D7B5306E79.jpg

All riveted, painted and upholstered.

452E8CF8-84BC-49C6-9B96-E1A398D0EFD4.jpg

The cover hinges at the back. You can easily open it enough to get sunglasses or a phone without dumping your drinks because they are close to the hinge.

E63A4434-C941-4E77-8410-D1FFBE0905E8.jpg

If any of you are considering such a project, I will review mine.

Pros

-The 1/2” foam padding under the vinyl is great on your arm. We all know the stock padding has a lot to be desired.
    -The window switches are more ergonomic. (I really didn’t expect that)
    -The storage is great. If you’re like me, I can’t even get in my stock glove box from the drivers seat. I like “stuff” out of sight.
    -The front cup holder is easy to get to for the driver and doesn’t interfere with shifting at all.
    -I like the hidden 12 V socket

Cons

-Of course, it’s not stock
    -I didn’t realize when I built it, that it is to long to hinge all the way back because it hits the ceiling. Not sure if that’s needed, but I don’t like it. (It does go almost 90 degrees.)
    -The vinyl didn’t match perfectly.

Mixed feelings
    I’ve only driven about 20 miles in test. I’m not sure about the height. I can rest my arm on it and the shift knob is perfect in my hand, but it feels like it might be too high. I need to drive it more to decide if I like it. My upholstery job was not up to snuff. It’s not terrible, but I learned a bit doing it. The next one will be better. I’m going to drive this awhile and work out any changes before I do it again.

Changes
    At this point, I’m pretty sure I will move or add a hinge just in front of the cup holder. I also think I need two plastic inner cups mounted inside so a “sweating” cup will not get water on documents inside. I will line the bottom with vinyl to silence any rattle of items in the box. If I decide to lower the rest, it would be nice to utilize the dead space under the cardboard to keep the same amount of room in the box.

In closing, I have to say, I have no interest in making these for sale, but I will help anyone who wants to make their own with more pics or dimensions.
    Last edited by Helirich; 01-23-2022 at 09:20 PM.

I just 3D printed one and covered it in the same vinyl I used to recover my center arm pad. Both match the interior perfectly, I even added a USB port to it so I can connect my phone to my Apple CarPlay head unit.

9105DEC1-BF4E-4BCF-A205-6303B3874042.jpg

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I just 3D printed one and covered it in the same vinyl I used to recover my center arm pad. Both match the interior perfectly, I even added a USB port to it so I can connect my phone to my Apple CarPlay head unit.

That is simple and beautiful.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    05257

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Warning! Purists do not proceed. All others have a look.

I was surprised to find no cup holders on my D. My wife can’t go anywhere without a drink and I like a place to put one too. So I checked out what was available and eventually designed my own. I came up with this.

BE9D6BD4-2480-4442-BEAE-00C5628B1774.jpg

It served my needs, but I wanted more. Specifically, I wanted some hidden storage in a center console. I figured I could design something that would incorporate everything I want. First thing I did was remove this.

490183FE-A3D1-4502-8021-A6B77538745D.jpg

I thought about cutting this up to make my new console, but I wanted to be able to go back if I didn’t like what I built. So it went on the shelf. That left me with this.

519030CF-8DBE-4225-8EBF-5A5228E63777.jpg

I was amazed that the hump cover was made basically of cardboard. I would have liked to cut some of it out for room, but again I wanted to be able to return to stock. I was worried if I cut it, it maybe too weak. The first order of the day was to get a shape to hold the window switches. I came up with this.

695514C1-E6AC-4593-8A5F-FEB94BA4E71A.jpg

Then I made the same shape 7 1/2” wide.

4B163661-39B4-4E1A-814E-221A9FF62964.jpg

Made some end covers and fit it.

9F385493-FFBA-44A9-B155-9D9255E6A19C.jpg

The hump cover really has no strength. I really have to recommend nobody lean on your stock console. So I made this Z bracket to hold up the back of my console. It bolts to the stock mount bolts and can remain even if I go back to stock.

22ECC72E-4E64-4226-8DFD-870A6A2A7604.jpg

I proceeded to make a long box to attach on the back.

CA3D4E6C-3E3D-4F61-9858-E6F6851BE99C.jpg

Cutting these holes was a bugger.

D380F6F5-7E60-418A-B0A6-7D922F3CEE7E.jpg

After a bit of trimming and filing, it didn’t look to bad.

4B2C4366-BCE0-4078-AD6A-3FCC606CA8B9.jpg

Next item on the agenda was the cigarette lighter socket. I don’t smoke and do not allow smoking in my car, but I wanted the socket for accessories. I donÂ’t like the looks of it in the stock location. So I made a mount inside the console.

17E44A84-312D-49CE-AD04-6FE7573AD914.jpg

Finally, I made a top cover with holes for the cups.

FDE695B6-1EF2-4EC2-A08C-90D7B5306E79.jpg

All riveted, painted and upholstered.

452E8CF8-84BC-49C6-9B96-E1A398D0EFD4.jpg

The cover hinges at the back. You can easily open it enough to get sunglasses or a phone without dumping your drinks because they are close to the hinge.

E63A4434-C941-4E77-8410-D1FFBE0905E8.jpg

If any of you are considering such a project, I will review mine.

Pros

-The 1/2” foam padding under the vinyl is great on your arm. We all know the stock padding has a lot to be desired.
    -The window switches are more ergonomic. (I really didn’t expect that)
    -The storage is great. If you’re like me, I can’t even get in my stock glove box from the drivers seat. I like “stuff” out of sight.
    -The front cup holder is easy to get to for the driver and doesn’t interfere with shifting at all.
    -I like the hidden 12 V socket

Cons

-Of course, it’s not stock
    -I didn’t realize when I built it, that it is to long to hinge all the way back because it hits the ceiling. Not sure if that’s needed, but I don’t like it. (It does go almost 90 degrees.)
    -The vinyl didn’t match perfectly.

Mixed feelings
    I’ve only driven about 20 miles in test. I’m not sure about the height. I can rest my arm on it and the shift knob is perfect in my hand, but it feels like it might be too high. I need to drive it more to decide if I like it. My upholstery job was not up to snuff. It’s not terrible, but I learned a bit doing it. The next one will be better. I’m going to drive this awhile and work out any changes before I do it again.

Changes
    At this point, I’m pretty sure I will move or add a hinge just in front of the cup holder. I also think I need two plastic inner cups mounted inside so a “sweating” cup will not get water on documents inside. I will line the bottom with vinyl to silence any rattle of items in the box. If I decide to lower the rest, it would be nice to utilize the dead space under the cardboard to keep the same amount of room in the box.

In closing, I have to say, I have no interest in making these for sale, but I will help anyone who wants to make their own with more pics or dimensions.
    I like it! Thanks for sharing!

My VIN:    05257

Hello, where can I get the 3D drawing? Thanks!

I’ve always thought that style looks good, but when your driving, it’s hard to reach your drink.

My VIN:    16563

I had to comment due to the fact that I actually have YOUR old cup holders lol. Im not a purist by any means however I do feel that its important to have the option to "undo" our changes at any time which you have accomplished. I have always liked your quest to place the cup holders in a convenient location rather than awkwardly behind you. Im checking out your creations man..Lovin it
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

My VIN:    6125

Nice metal fab skills on the console. I'd probably never deviate from stock, but it's cool to see what others dream up for cupholders and storage.

That is neat and innovative. But to solve your flip up problem what about it flipping to the passenger side. Would take away from the hitting the ceiling. Wouldn't have access from the passenger side but the driver would.

Quote Originally Posted by JSzabo View Post
    That is neat and innovative. But to solve your flip up problem what about it flipping to the passenger side. Would take away from the hitting the ceiling. Wouldn't have access from the passenger side but the driver would.
    CanÂ’t believe I didnÂ’t think of this. Lol. I still think I need to split it in front of the cup holders. The current setup can be lifted a few inches with cups in and not spill the drinks. The side flip would spill a drink pretty quick. At least, it would only dump it on the passenger. Lol.

In any case, I ordered some stainless cup holders off the bay. I donÂ’t like the way the upholstery looks at the holes. Of course the cup holders are coming from China. So they might be sitting in a container ship off the coast for a while. That will give me time to decide on changes. When I get them, I will be making another console with some changes. IÂ’m pretty sure it will be slightly shorter. I think I will cut into the original structure so I donÂ’t lose space. IÂ’m going to do it in such a way that it still can be returned to stock.

To review my own design and work, so far, I love the storage and the padded armrest. I also really like the cigarette socket hidden. I’m not happy with the switch holes. I like the ergonomics of them, but I made a couple of the holes too sloppy. (The switches are not tight) Might be my “snap clips” are shot. I made all the holes fit the defrost switch and it fits tight, But the window switches seem to be looser.

I really think one of the venders needs to make something similar. IÂ’m not a computer guy, but maybe someone could 3D print the whole console.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast