FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VIN history report

I did some research on this. Apparently you can't get previous owners names and addresses anymore. Its part of the Owners Protection Act or something like that. No matter what search you use, you won't get previous owner information other than the state and maybe the town.
    The only way around this is things like someone abandoned a vehicle on your property, someone is threatening you (and they are driving a vehicle), etc. And it needs to be done through someone in law enforcement.
    Anyone friends for a detective or police officer??

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

What am I missing here, why is it so important to get a previous owners name and address? To do what with it? Reach out to them “hey buddy, I own a Delorean that used to belong to you”. Yell at them for a previous modification?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    What am I missing here, why is it so important to get a previous owners name and address? To do what with it? Reach out to them “hey buddy, I own a Delorean that used to belong to you”. Yell at them for a previous modification?
    Well first of all I think it would be cool to have a copy of the orogonal title like some of these other people have been able to obtain.
    Secondly and more importantly with my car there are some weird inconsistencies that are haunting me. Like if it was made in 1982 then why did it not receive its first title until 1995?? What happened in those years?? From what I have read most of the cars made when mine was got re-vin'd as 1983 models but mine did not.

Then last but not least (and kind of tied to the second reason) I connected the dots and it's a long shot but my car could have been owned by someone important which may make the car worth more.
    So why not try to find out? Especially before I potentially do a bunch of stuff to the car that isn't original.

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 01-30-2022 at 07:44 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The only way to get a copy of a previous Title is if a previous owner made a copy of it and kept it. Searches will not get you copies of Titles. As for not being Titled until 1995, the most likely answer is a dealer owned it and never titled it. They can drive it around on dealer plates. It is always possible someone of some notoriety did own your car in the past and that would make it interesting and maybe even worth something. Another reason to contact previous owners is that they may have parts or pieces or other bits that go with the car that they might sell. They certainly will have stories to tell. Two reasons NOT to look for old owners is maybe there is a lien on the car or the car was stolen! There are a few stories about how previous owners, once they found out about their old car, bought it back.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I for one, if/when I sell my car, would not want some freaking vin stalker knowing my home address 5 or 10 years down the road. I swear, the only bad thing about owning these cars is the creepy way some of you people act....it's borderline psychotic. To be honest, I would prefer not to have that info public knowledge at ANY time. Not now, not ever. I think this type of behavior is why so many current owners stay far away from the forums and social media and I can't really blame them. Why can't you people just be fucking normal??
    Last edited by Michael; 01-30-2022 at 09:56 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    REDACTED

I’m with Michael on this one…y’all are some creepy stalker folks…
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

It’s called the Drivers Privacy Protection Act and it was signed into law in 1994…..now you know why.

Previous owners of cars (not Delorean) were being harassed by current owners and some encounters turned violent.

There is absolutely no reason why you need a previous owners address.

You’re doing exactly why the law was drafted so don’t be so surprised why it exists. And stop asking for people who know police officers that can do an illegal search on someone on your behalf to find someone an existing law is there to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The only way to get a copy of a previous Title is if a previous owner made a copy of it and kept it. Searches will not get you copies of Titles. As for not being Titled until 1995, the most likely answer is a dealer owned it and never titled it. They can drive it around on dealer plates. It is always possible someone of some notoriety did own your car in the past and that would make it interesting and maybe even worth something. Another reason to contact previous owners is that they may have parts or pieces or other bits that go with the car that they might sell. They certainly will have stories to tell. Two reasons NOT to look for old owners is maybe there is a lien on the car or the car was stolen! There are a few stories about how previous owners, once they found out about their old car, bought it back.
    Thanks for the info David.
    Not looking to bug anyone about parts or anything. Just looking for the early history on the car.
    It was titled later in the state I am in so not worried about liens way back then but I do understand what you are saying which is why I don't give out my VIN everywhere like so many people do.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    It’s called the Drivers Privacy Protection Act and it was signed into law in 1994…..now you know why.

Previous owners of cars (not Delorean) were being harassed by current owners and some encounters turned violent.

There is absolutely no reason why you need a previous owners address.

You’re doing exactly why the law was drafted so don’t be so surprised why it exists. And stop asking for people who know police officers that can do an illegal search on someone on your behalf to find someone an existing law is there to protect.
    Interesting. I didn't realize it has been a law for that long. I guess it has been longer than I remembered since I did a VIN search and it didn't give previous owners info.

Well I will stop trying to get the info I am looking for then. I didn't realize it was such a serious thing now.

I didn't really see it as being creepy or anything not sure why. Maybe because I grew up in an Era and area where it was common for people to track other people down for information about things like houses, property, vehicles, etc. I remember people just stopping in and asking you "Hey you wanna sell that truck?"
    It was not a big deal and nobody got creeped out or offended about it. Well, other than people that moved into the area from the city. These were usually the same people that posted thier land for no trespassing.
    If someone didn't want to share info they'd just say so and that was the end of it. No big deal.
    Different time,..different place.
    Thanks again for the information.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I for one, if/when I sell my car, would not want some freaking vin stalker knowing my home address 5 or 10 years down the road. I swear, the only bad thing about owning these cars is the creepy way some of you people act....it's borderline psychotic. To be honest, I would prefer not to have that info public knowledge at ANY time. Not now, not ever. I think this type of behavior is why so many current owners stay far away from the forums and social media and I can't really blame them. Why can't you people just be fucking normal??
    +2
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast