FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN history report

VIN history report

Does anyone know how to get a more complete history report on a car? I used Carfax and it doesn't say who owned the car, where they lived, and doesn't go back beyond 1995.
    I looked on the DeLorean registry and it doesn't have info on my car.

Anyone a cop or investigator? PM if you know how to get more info.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    05257

Same question. I have the history only from 2010. Would really love to know the history!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The way it is done is to go to the last State the car was registered/titled in and do a record search by VIN #. That may lead to other previous owners or other States that the car was in. You must search each State if the car was in multiple States. Each State charges for a search. Some States don't charge much, some charge a lot. Some can do it via the Internet but most do it by mail. It can take a while. CarFax is not very good for old cars.
    David Teitelbaum

I never had any luck with my other car (Which mind you is 14 years older). I even hounded the original dealership (in Kansas).

My VIN:    6125

Some states are free to search by VIN, like Ohio.

https://bmvonline.dps.ohio.gov/Search/Title

I haven't been able to track down any history on my car prior to 2001 when the PO purchased it. It only had 6925 miles on it back then, so it sat a lot for its first 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The way it is done is to go to the last State the car was registered/titled in and do a record search by VIN #. That may lead to other previous owners or other States that the car was in. You must search each State if the car was in multiple States. Each State charges for a search. Some States don't charge much, some charge a lot. Some can do it via the Internet but most do it by mail. It can take a while. CarFax is not very good for old cars.
    So I can't just go right to the first state listed on the car fax and start there? Are you saying I HAVE to start with the last state that it had a title in?

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    So I can't just go right to the first state listed on the car fax and start there? Are you saying I HAVE to start with the last state that it had a title in?

I don't think the order matters, just that each state keeps their own records and you'll have to request from each state individually. Here in CA you just fill out a vehicle record request and it only costs 5 bucks. You'll get the names of previous owners and their first and last registration dates. Additionally you can order an "original owners certificate" for your VIN from deloreanmuseum.org which might give you the original owner's info/location and which dealer they purchased from. Mine even listed the date the car was first shipped to the states, the name of the ship, and which port it arrived at. Not sure if they still offer this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    I don't think the order matters, just that each state keeps their own records and you'll have to request from each state individually. Here in CA you just fill out a vehicle record request and it only costs 5 bucks. You'll get the names of previous owners and their first and last registration dates. Additionally you can order an "original owners certificate" for your VIN from deloreanmuseum.org which might give you the original owner's info/location and which dealer they purchased from. Mine even listed the date the car was first shipped to the states, the name of the ship, and which port it arrived at. Not sure if they still offer this though.
    Ok
    Well I sent an email to what I think is the right department for the state of Michigan..
    Delorean Museum didn't have anymore info than I have.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The order does matter. To establish a complete "Chain of Ownership" you start with the last known owner/State and go backwards from there noting each owner. You could get lucky and the car was always in only 1 State. The record will show you where the car came from, the last owner and which State. That will lead you to the next one in the chain till you get to the original selling dealer. This will only get you Titled owners. If the car changed hands and was not Titled, you will not see that. If you do it right there should be no gaps and the mileage should look right. While it won't add to the value of the car, it is nice to have. While you are at it go over to the DoD and update your VIN there.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The order does matter. To establish a complete "Chain of Ownership" you start with the last known owner/State and go backwards from there noting each owner. You could get lucky and the car was always in only 1 State. The record will show you where the car came from, the last owner and which State. That will lead you to the next one in the chain till you get to the original selling dealer. This will only get you Titled owners. If the car changed hands and was not Titled, you will not see that. If you do it right there should be no gaps and the mileage should look right. While it won't add to the value of the car, it is nice to have. While you are at it go over to the DoD and update your VIN there.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast