FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Repairing female spade connection - want to remove OE plastic sheath

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Because it’s easier and/or doesn’t get brittle with age/heat, like the plastic does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I like the new tin plated pins and don't see the need to have that plastic shell. Pulling one pin off is fine just pulling on the wire.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    One of the two OE female wire connections to my otterstat is almost to the failing point with just 2 or 3 of the wire strands still intact at the back of the crimp fitting. The other strand are frayed, disconnected.

I'd like to slide the rectangular hard black plastic sheath off of the female crimp connector so I can clean the connector, then re-crimp it after I expose a good section of wire for the connection. After that I'd slide the undamaged plastic sheath back on and be done.

Is there a trick to releasing the plastic sheath from the brass connector without damaging the plastic? Does it slide off toward or away from the wire after it's released?

I know that connection is hidden underneath the coolant pipe tee when its installed but I'm up for a small challenge. Not yet interested in a splice job. I assume there are no longer any NOS black plastic sheaths and I assume it's designed to lock onto that particular style of female connector.

Attachment 67958
    Buying a new one maybe a good idea, but if you want to fix it, most of those sheaths are of the same design. The spade connector will push in from the back side and “click” in with a “one way” tab. To pull it back out, you must insert a very small thin screwdriver along the top of the connector to bend the tab flat. Sometimes they are quite easy to pull out. Sometimes not.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Buying a new one maybe a good idea, but if you want to fix it, most of those sheaths are of the same design. The spade connector will push in from the back side and “click” in with a “one way” tab. To pull it back out, you must insert a very small thin screwdriver along the top of the connector to bend the tab flat. Sometimes they are quite easy to pull out. Sometimes not.
    NAPA or amazon probably has the proper tool to use for removing the connectors. Kind of like weather pack connectors, you can pull the pins out if you use tiny picks.... or you can get the $4 tool and have it apart in a split second.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

If I recall, they are just Packard 56 connectors, or some variation of them. I used some 56 connectors as replacements with no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2