FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who is this?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The most annoying thing which has ever happened to me on the Interstate in the D was when I passed a slow-moving pickup truck about two miles before my exit. As I started to pass him, he sped up so I thought "Okay, he realized he was going slowly," but I noticed that he was matching my speed exactly. Then I saw that he was looking over and revving up his engine at me. This was both dangerous and annoying and I had to get back into the right lane in order to exit the Interstate, so I sped up a tad (I am gentle with my car and I don't like speeding tickets), whereupon he hit the gas on his truck and sped up a little more to keep pace with me. "Houston, we have discovered a jackass."

I don't know what Pickup Truck Jackass's intention was, but it seemed he was waiting for me to race him. (A lot of people will assume that you bought a DeLorean so that you could engage in drag races with every other car on the road. I don't know why.) Now with a car behind me in the passing lane and less than half a mile to my exit, Pickup Truck Jackass isn't letting me over because, presumably, he wants to stick it to a DeLorean -- or he's waiting for me to hit the gas and pass him faster than his Ford Ranger Splash's computer-governed maximum speed of 100 MPH, I really don't know. I had to risk hitting the brakes in the passing lane to slow down quickly (something I don't like to do because drivers behind me generally don't expect it) in order to get behind the truck again and exit the Interstate. No doubt Pickup Truck Jackass felt pretty smug having "beat a DeLorean." Well, whoopdy shit and good for him, but from my perspective, that's a lot of pointless bullshit just to satisfy some redneck's ego.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4534

Delorean03, Hillbilly, and I had our own little parade lane next to us after a cruise in one night. Unfortunately the left lane full of cars matching our speed were an extra hazard when a bag of trash appeared in our lane. I was the last car in our D-line and while the other two had enough power to get ahead of the left lane cars to go around poor little Red didn't. I had to take the bike lane in order to avoid some possible body/undercarriage damage.

That was my only road hazard escape, normally I just get photos taken while at red lights.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    No doubt Pickup Truck Jackass felt pretty smug having "beat a DeLorean." Well, whoopdy shit and good for him, but from my perspective, that's a lot of pointless bullshit just to satisfy some redneck's ego.
    You have to put yourself in his shoes. Now he has a story he will be able to tell his grand kids someday when they visit him in his trailer.

Disclaimer: I can make all the trailer park jokes I want because I spent the first 23 years of my life in trailer parks and I'm still white trash to this day.

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I just seem to get the morons, Minus the pictures..lol Amazingly, very few people do the engine reving at me.. Which you would expect them to do for a sports car.. People in the area I live really suck at driving, so my 300HP V8 does come in very handy, but I would like to have my D instead. I thought about selling it for the value KBB says it's worth.. (I think 15-17k) But it is my daily driver and I don't want to subjugate my D to winter driving! Lets see how this deployment goes and I will look at Ds in country and when I get back.

I honestly think people are not looking for a real challenge, but trying to prove something to themselves and collect as many victories as they can.. Hence they would challenge a DeLorean rather than a Mustang.. If you think about it, a lot of Mustang owners work on the performance before the exterior aesthetics; thus they have no idea what aftermarket parts are under my hood and the GT badge can't help their decision to race me. But like D owners, I get hit with a barrage or retarded comments like.. "Is that a straight or an automatic?" "Why would you get a Mustang in automatic?" "Should have got it in [Insert colour here].." "You must get really bad gas mileage." "What does FRSCPE1 mean?". I even had someone question why I keep my car so clean.. Interior and Exterior.

Or the other theory is, maybe people keep mistaking your D for a Lamborghini or something and feel the need to race? lol

An old pickup truck that is already spewing blue or black smoke and stinking the environment out, no less.

Off-topic: honestly, these cars that do that seriously need to be taken off the streets for environmental reasons. I hate those to hell.

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Off-topic: honestly, these cars that do that seriously need to be taken off the streets for environmental reasons. I hate those to hell.
    They are in some areas of the country.. In the Metropolitan DC area and LA (Plus more areas) it would not have passed emissions and legally not be able to drive until the issue was fixed and passed emissions testing.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Why not take Deloreans off the streets for environmental reasons?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2