FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

Quote Originally Posted by gullwingD View Post
    His family was taken advantage of after his death.
    Umm no. While it is pretty well documented the drug charges were bs, the fraud/embezzlement charges were not. He and his family benefited by his shady dealings. There were other un-named people that lost in those dealings. What about their familyÂ’s? What about the familys of factory workers that lost their jobs? IÂ’m not going to say some bad choices means his whole life is bad, but he is responsible for his choices. If he couldnÂ’t leave anything to his family, itÂ’s his fault. His family got to live the celebrity lifestyle for awhile. ItÂ’s not anybody elseÂ’s fault they couldnÂ’t continue.

But most important, people are not “owed” anything by their parents. (Except an upbringing) It’s nice if they get something, but it’s the luck of the draw. To suggest otherwise is the “entitlement culture” that is the bane of our society today.

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post

Removing myself from the community was a decision I made for MY mental health. I've wanted a Delorean since I was a kid and busted my butt to get one. To then see there was an ancilary aspect to ownership that was negative was... frustrating. I foolishly thought for a while that I could try to set a good example. Instead, I got caught up in it all and realized it was taking away from ownership instead of adding to it. Of all the "friends" I made over the years through ownership, only ONE would ever try to keep in contact with me. Everyone else was kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and, again, that is fine. So I'm not being a "sour puss at home with the blinds drawn". I'm making sure I prioritize my own state of mind by selectively including myself in thing and equally removing myself too. This community can freaking consume you if you let it (Marc even said so in his response to James).
    OUCH This may be a matter of perspective, but I reached out to you MANY times after you seemed to have disappeared. You removed me from FaceBook, and G+ (when it still existed). You ignored my emails, and texts. How many times can I be ignored before I take the hint- you don't want to associate anymore? Should I beg?! I actually ask this question of myself A LOT, even more so recently as it seems the old norms of socializing are gone forever. I'll stop there, because this is not a therapy session. Point is, unless I am the "ONE" you are talking about (and, I don't think I am)- you are way off base with this. I am sure many other people in the DMA feel the same. You just vanished, and ghosted us. I assume with good reason? But, that is none of my business. Please consider your perception is inaccurate.

Totally understand that you would prioritize your own mental health, etc.. But "removing yourself" never has to be all or nothing. Discussions about specific topics (mostly being online) can be avoided without removing yourself from the community. Your choices impact the outcome. Did we focus on these all consuming and divisive topics in your physical presence? Not that I remember, but if so, I apologize- and wish you would have said it made you uncomfortable (so I could adjust) instead of ghosting.

To anyone else who does not like this (or any other) topic, for whatever reason, you can simply stop reading and ignore it. Discussions about a specific topic should not influence your participation in the community.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

My VIN:    5591

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
    OUCH This may be a matter of perspective, but I reached out to you MANY times after you seemed to have disappeared. You removed me from FaceBook, and G+ (when it still existed). You ignored my emails, and texts. How many times can I be ignored before I take the hint- you don't want to associate anymore? Should I beg?! I actually ask this question of myself A LOT, even more so recently as it seems the old norms of socializing are gone forever. I'll stop there, because this is not a therapy session. Point is, unless I am the "ONE" you are talking about (and, I don't think I am)- you are way off base with this. I am sure many other people in the DMA feel the same. You just vanished, and ghosted us. I assume with good reason? But, that is none of my business. Please consider your perception is inaccurate.

Totally understand that you would prioritize your own mental health, etc.. But "removing yourself" never has to be all or nothing. Discussions about specific topics (mostly being online) can be avoided without removing yourself from the community. Your choices impact the outcome. Did we focus on these all consuming and divisive topics in your physical presence? Not that I remember, but if so, I apologize- and wish you would have said it made you uncomfortable (so I could adjust) instead of ghosting.

To anyone else who does not like this (or any other) topic, for whatever reason, you can simply stop reading and ignore it. Discussions about a specific topic should not influence your participation in the community.
    Marc, happy to take this off-thread. I don't feel the need to comment on all this in public. You're not wrong, but there's a lot that lead to the actions I took for my sanity. I acknowledge my perception was potentially only mine, but I'll leave it at that on here.

Hit me up on PM if you want. Hope all is well with you!

My VIN:    6313

Is it just me or do these 'E's not look awfully, I don't know... confusable.

DeLorean and Tesla E.png
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Is it just me or do these 'E's not look awfully, I don't know... confusable.

DeLorean and Tesla E.png
    I'm hoping it's a hint.

My VIN:    Early

Wow.

It always amazes me how much drama pervades in this small community.

Honestly who cares what DMCH does anymore? We have other companies here and in Europe nowadays. Yes they don’t have the NOS parts, but they are working hard to reproduce what they can. If you get a C&D, just ignore it.

Next topic…
    Will DMCH build a "new" car?
    5EE50356-0A8A-4660-8B01-292FBA8CEC52.jpg

They can’t even make new glovebox inserts or taillights or interior quarter panels or LF fenders…etc. And lots of DMCH solutions have been cheap garbage. I’ve personally had my headlights go out at night more than once before I swapped to back to DMCEU/factory style.

If they do make a car, it’ll be worse than a factory early VIN imo.

Edit: I thought those leggings with the logo were photoshopped… Just went on the website and found out they are really trying to sell that shit…
    Last edited by 81dmc; 02-18-2022 at 08:10 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Wow.

It always amazes me how much drama pervades in this small community.

Honestly who cares what DMCH does anymore? We have other companies here and in Europe nowadays. Yes they don’t have the NOS parts, but they are working hard to reproduce what they can. If you get a C&D, just ignore it.

Next topic…
    Will DMCH build a "new" car?
    5EE50356-0A8A-4660-8B01-292FBA8CEC52.jpg

They can’t even make new glovebox inserts or taillights or interior quarter panels or LF fenders…etc. And lots of DMCH solutions have been cheap garbage. I’ve personally had my headlights go out at night more than once before I swapped to back to DMCEU/factory style.

If they do make a car, it’ll be worse than a factory early VIN imo.

Edit: I thought those leggings with the logo were photoshopped… Just went on the website and found out they are really trying to sell that shit…
    Wonders out loud about the drama when it's just a discussion.

Goes on to add to said drama with more discussion.

I guess if it's your viewpoints, then it's not drama?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I guess if it's your viewpoints, then it's not drama?
    Well obviously

Guess I’ll go crawl back in my hole again.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Back to the <<< Trademark Infringement Discussion

I am new to the DMC Talk. I read people’s complaints of others and it makes me curious as to what is and is not factual. I have no reason to cast aspersions. I try to judge fairly based on history and facts to establish a baseline. So, I did a background search on the 2 contentious Trademark infringement parties that this thread was initially written about….

Plaintiff: DMC-Texas

Litigation and subsequent settlement agreement between DMC-Texas and Sally Delorean in 2014 lead to DMC-Texas obtaining royalties from Universal Studios that previously went to John Z. Delorean’s estate…
    https://www.hodgsonruss.com/newsroom...ons-10663.html.

DMC-Texas’ litigation appears to have benefitted the company favorable financially. At this point, sending a cease & desist (C&D) letter to other Delorean businesses is minimal financial cost with respect to the ROI it may potentially generate. Consumers in the Delorean community that are angered by the DMC-Texas C&D letters will indeed buy less DMC product, resulting in lost revenue to DMC-Texas. DMC-Texas may have done a risk assessment and determined that it is financially advisable to still pursue C&D letters regardless of how it may be perceived in the community - this is just my feeling, and it may not be completely accurate.

Defendant: DeloreanRental.com

The person that appears to have started this thread, Jason A. (according to one post), is the party that brought up this C&D issue.
    Surprisingly (or not), this is not Jason’s first run-in with copyright infringement. The Chicago Cubs previously brought a copyright infringement case against him and business partners…
    https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/...-1_16-cv-09140

I do not know whether Jason was found guilty in the Cubs infringement case or will settle with DMC-Texas. However, there is a common trend in this thread: using other parties' property (intellectual or physical) for one’s own gains. I understand that we live in a free marketplace society – I hope that DMC and Jason are fair to one another during any court proceedings (if it comes to that).

Unfortunately, if the past is any indication of the future, both Jason and DMC will probably capitalize on other’s previously-owned intellectual property or Deloreans themselves for personal, professional and/or financial gains. It is up to you, the consumer, to determine whether you want to work with entities that abuse that privilege.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post
    Rest assured it isn't anything like that at all. I can handle discussions about sometimes sensitive topics. I even know how to leave things alone and walk away when need be. But rest assured this isn't the case here for myself, and quite likely many others.

The DeLorean community is becoming more and more toxic.

Some of it may be people trying to inject politics and personal opinions whenever they can, some may be outright trolling. Most of that doesn't bother me because I can just tune most of that out. But it doesn't help other people who are looking for support and community. Case in point, right now over on a Facebook group for DeLorean Restoration Projects, someone posted a picture of their spreadsheet containing their budget for parts. Support from others and encouragement. Until there comes along some nasty comment shaming the poster, calling them "DMCH's bitch" for buying parts from them. Not advice on a better source for parts, but a direct insult to the OP. Seriously, what is the entire fucking point of that?

I've seen the online community migrate from USENET to DMCNews, and then watched the first successful schism to DMCTalk here. Then I saw the next one for DMCToday. Then yet another to Facebook, and now those groups have fractured apart. And with every split things just become worse and worse. Instead of sticking with a single community with codes of conduct where we either respect one another or leave, everyone throws an absolute temper tantrum and stomps off to create their own little digital fiefdom elsewhere...until that one too just goes through the same pathetic cycle where people just move on and it starts again but with more anger and bitterness.

Make no mistake though, it's not just the online community. It's happening in real life too. More than once so far I have been caught in the middle of DeLorean people feuding with one another and practically demanded to take a side against another person or people. I'm tired of it. So I decided to just ghost everyone equally. The miniscule number of people whom I'm still friends with online are essentially ones who have been benign all this time. The Facebook groups I've monitored are all ones where people actually help one another. And even then I've not just left many groups, but I'm lucky if I go online once a week now. The media exposure is nasty enough to contend with. Which is why I deleted Facebook off my phone, along with Twitter which has been deactivated, and I've just declined to join others. But the final step was essentially just abandoning people in real life as well. I'm not going to take sides, or even passively take part in all of this fighting and battling of egos.

Sure the same could be said of practically every other club out there. But this is the community I chose to be apart of. In fact, I've spent over nearly 26 years being apart of this community, and come March I will have owned a DeLorean for over half of my actual life. It has been a huge part of my life that influenced and caused everything from my career and even marriage existing. And I'm telling you right now that I don't like what it has become.

Make no mistake, it isn't because I'm upset that I'm not getting attention, or influencing other people. I know who I am, and who I am not. In the grand scheme of things I am an absolute nobody. I checked out of the community for a while and things went on without me. I was not missed then, and know that I never will be in the future. But it isn't right to treat new owners and prospective ones who still rank as enthusiasts like shit, let alone teach them that they need to act in these negative ways as well. These people deserve the same community that I was first apart of. Mentors who helped educate. Brethren who encouraged action. And a community that cared and answered questions with compassion, no matter how trivial, repetitive, or outright dumb they may have been. That's all gone now. What's replaced it is a bunch of people who want to scream snarky insults, trash talk vendors (which why the hell is it such an in-thing to hate Houston?) and always dominate to create some sort of authoritative image for themselves. Even if it is only in their own mind.

I never bought a Corvette because I found Corvette owners to be stereotypical assholes (which come to find out I've since encountered some hardcore owners who agree with me and urged me to look past that), and I never wanted to be associated with those kind of people. I liked the DeLorean community because if there was a typical DeLorean owner, it was someone eccentric. Pleasant enough to be around, awkward at times perhaps, but good people none the less. That has clearly changed. I may have mis-stepped in the past, but I choose to make a conscious decision to try a be a better person than I was in the past. More importantly, I'm not taking sides. I'm not getting caught up in gossip. I don't necessarily think that I'm better than anyone else, but I sure as hell know that I don't want to become worse.

I don't recognize a good portion, if not the majority, of this community any longer. I'm not naïve though. I realize that we cannot go backwards to the past. But what you can do is create a better community going forward for others.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast