FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

I was shown a cease and desist from a friend who owns a delorean rental website that they are now threatening legal action against anyone with the name "delorean" in the domain name as trademark! This is going to cause a HUGE stink in the community I think! There are a LOT of websites that use the name for rentals, parts, and even just community forums. Pretty bad on their part as most of these guys, including my friend, bring a LOT of positive awareness with renting out their cars for events and such. He's now consulting an attorney but doesn't seem like anyone in the community can help. Anyone here have any suggestions, as this may set a precedent for everyone moving forward.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I doubt that using the name "DeLorean" comes anywhere near trademark infringement but DMCH can send cease and desist letters out all day long. Costs them nothing more than postage and 90% of the time it works.

I suggest contacting a lawyer

And if this is true then to DMCH...FUCK YOU!
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

I donno, is your buddy renting reliant robins?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camaro430sut View Post
    I donno, is your buddy renting reliant robins?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    hahahaha no, that guy deserves to get sued, claiming to be John D's son and using their official name and logo!! ZERO delorean rental websites use ANY delorean trademarks or logos, they all have their own. Only thing used is the "Delorean" in the domain. All state they aren't affiliated with DMC. RentDelorean, DeloreanRental, RentTheDelorean, DeloreanRide, DeloreaMarketplace, DeloreanIndustries, DeloreanMidWest, all use delorean in the domain, and most of all of them use their own logos. DeloreanMidwest uses exact delorean logos and aren't affiliated with Delorean, they are a midwest group. It's very strange that DMC would try and do something like this.
    Last edited by EngineerGuY; 02-07-2022 at 07:14 PM.

I honestly don't see DMCH doing this. I suspect a troll...but wouldn't put it past DMCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I honestly don't see DMCH doing this. I suspect a troll...but wouldn't put it past DMCH.
    I've seen the letter sent, it's the real deal from Gordon & Rees LLP, who represent DMC Texas. This is no troll job, they are literally asking to cease all website, social media and much more. It's beyond insane.

In that case my original reply stands..

Will I get a C&D because my car says "DeLorean"?

Will Deloreango, DeLorean Industries, DeLorean FB groups get one?

What about other DeLorean sites that have nothing to do with the car?, like the rap artist(actually I wouldn't mind him getting one).

Does DMCH now own a word that is a part of the English language?

I have "DeLorean Gray" grout in my master bathroom. Will DMCH demand I cease and desist poops?

I'm going to copyright the word "The"...imagine all "the" money I could make from selling "the" usage rights for "the" word.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-07-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    but DMCH can send cease and desist letters out all day long. Costs them nothing more than postage and 90% of the time it works.
    This!

Anybody can file a lawsuit for fairly cheap also, but getting to court is another thing. You have to bribe a judge pretty good for him not to throw it out.

My VIN:    Ask one of the online stalkers.

This sounds like the ranting of that guy who got into it over watches and was banned from DMCH for sharing memes.
    I love my DMC! I can't speak highly enough of it!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't try to use common sense when it comes to the law. If DMCH doesn't send out the letters and try to defend their trademark someone could make the case that since they did not try to stop anyone, they should not be allowed to stop anyone. Disney does this all the time. Sending a letter is one thing, actually bringing a case against someone will cost a lot. I doubt they would do that unless someone is making enough money using the name to justify bringing a suit against them. In a lot of cases like this all they want is for you to sign a licensing agreement and pay a small fee if you are, in fact, making any money by using the trademark. That way they have control over who and how their trademark is used. For anyone who wants to fight this there is a good chance you would win, the name is so embedded into the culture. It would cost a fortune to do that which is why most people will either stop using the name or sign a licensing agreement. Does anyone think DMCH will get anything from Universal for the use of the name?
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast