FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

What we were promised:

modern-delorean-dmc-12-angel-guerra-6.jpg

What we got:
    20220213_133845.jpg

DMCH: "The future was never promised"
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What we got:
    20220213_133845.jpg
    "Great! I always wanted a DeLorean branded Sex Doll!" - Fanatics
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Complete with camel toe!

What we were promised:

modern-delorean-dmc-12-angel-guerra-6.jpg

What we got:
    20220213_133845.jpg

DMCH: "The future was never promised"

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Gull wings to camel toe Delorean has you covered
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Lots of things going on in this thread across a wide swath of history. The ones who were there when it happened got it mostly right, lots of the others got it varying degrees of wrong. I’m sure the same will be said about what I am about to write. George Carlin, I think, said “where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit” - that seems to fit here, too.
    From where you sit, you not only have direct access to the "real story"- but are part of it. I appreciate your honesty in this message, but... (there is always a but with me!! LOL!) more on that later.

One thing I don't understand from the community is the failure to recognize that DMCH is a for profit business. Buy low, sell high is the basic idea behind making a profit. No one should be finding fault with it, as long as it is done in a legal and moral way. More to say on that, but it is not really relevant to this conversation.

On that subject, weÂ’re hiring in just about all areas for in-person positions here at DMCH. Come work here and see for yourself what it takes to keep this going! Company paid medical, dental, vision, HSA/HSA, paid holidays/vacation, 401k and more!
    I happen to be between gigs right now...

And actually, we did get rights to certain IP from Kapac, which they acquired from Consolidated when they got it from the DMCL Receiver. The stylized DMC logo, of course, was not part of that and was acquired through an application approved by the USPTO. Over the years we have added to the IP portfolio to protect the brand from uses that could have been inconsistent with the direction in which Stephen (as owner) wanted the business to go.
    Here is where the "but" comes in. Based on this, it seems to confirm what I have been saying for 20 years. The stylized logo (which existed in DMC documentation from the late 1970's) was registered by DMCH. Something that DMCH did not create, or buy- something that was literally pulled off of 20 year old documents (at the time), was simply claimed by filing a form with the USPTO. That claim was then used to block the previously public domain use of any DeLorean related "artwork" (Stylized, block, whatever...) with bully tactics. I am restating this for clarity, because it is the specific focus of my argument. Again, it sounds to me that you are confirming my position on the matter. I too am not a lawyer, but believe that if a judge saw the evidence in the matter, they would have invalidated the claim. With the time that has passed, that may not be true anymore. Either way, I believe this is an immoral way to make a profit. Even if you agree with me, you are not in a position to say so publicly.

I consider Marc a long time friend, too. Marc, lmk if you still need Purflux filters, I recently found some in an old box while looking for radio manuals for you in my storage unit from when I moved.
    I have a few Purflux filters left, so I am OK for now- but could always use more as backup. I don't drive 1860 much anymore. Been thinking about selling it.

WRT Rob, Toby, Etc- I was not part of any of that, but will say I heard different sides/versions of those stories. Interesting to hear yours too. Personally, I think more vendors selling and servicing our cars is better for everyone and am disappointed when action is taken to "reduce competition". IMO, it is shortsighted and not good business.

Glad we could get you roped back in to the time suck vortex of the internet. Hope to see you IRL soon.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

This is exactly the issue I have -- it is morally wrong! The newcomers don't get it. John DeLorean is rolling in his grave. There will NEVER be a new DeLorean, you can put the name on it -- but it is not a DeLorean! As much as John wanted to create a new car, he would not want a 3rd party profiting off his his hard work, leaving no money for his family. His family was taken advantage of after his death.

>>>Here is where the "but" comes in. Based on this, it seems to confirm what I have been saying for 20 years. The stylized logo (which existed in DMC documentation from the late 1970's) was registered by DMCH. Something that DMCH did not create, or buy- something that was literally pulled off of 20 year old documents (at the time), was simply claimed by filing a form with the USPTO. That claim was then used to block the previously public domain use of any DeLorean related "artwork" (Stylized, block, whatever...) with bully tactics. I am restating this for clarity, because it is the specific focus of my argument. Again, it sounds to me that you are confirming my position on the matter. I too am not a lawyer, but believe that if a judge saw the evidence in the matter, they would have invalidated the claim. With the time that has passed, that may not be true anymore. Either way, I believe this is an immoral way to make a profit. Even if you agree with me, you are not in a position to say so publicly.

My VIN:    10515

Events of the past two years - pandemic, and the legwork resulting in the coming news about the changes to our website - have put the club program on the back burner, but it was far more than just a waiver - lots of nice “value-added” benefits to being a member of an organized local/regional DeLorean club - and I hope once the dust settles in the coming months we are able to re-visit and implement that. I, for one, am anxious to get back out to club events around the US.
    LOL... the past TWO years?! Fake DMC hasn't cared about the DeLorean community for FAR longer than that... and they think they'll be welcomed by DeLorean owners by offering 10% off of their already overpriced parts? lol Hopefully they hire an image consultant to train them on how to be part of a community, and how to actually care about their CUSTOMERS.

DeLorean OWNERS should make use the various crossover parts lists out there (like this one - www.DeLoreanDirectory.com/crossover-parts) so they can get the same/better parts, sometimes with REAL warranties, instead of buying Fake DMC's parts, and getting over-charged on shipping.

Also, support these companies, who ARE part of our communities - www.DeLoreanDirectory.com/service

My VIN:    10515

Fake DMC's new tagline... "We never PROMISED to build the 'new' DeLorean in the future." lol

My VIN:    6585

Reading all of the posts this thread reminds me of why I opted to become an online recluse by cutting off contact with most people and the community itself.

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    I addressed that issue somewhat in the "John Hervey Passed Away" thread at #17:

"Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Then there was the confusion between "Special-T-Auto" and Darryl Tinnerstet's "Specialty Automotive" in Washington that added to much confusion for buyers, and consternation for Darryl (probably even a factor as to why he retired from the business).

Not really. John and I only spoke once, about his choice of business name and the ensuing "confusion". We had different business practices and goals, and co-existed. The main factor in my decision to retire was DMCH who, after buying out KAPAC, refused to honor their policy of selling wholesale to other smaller vendors. I had a large inventory of my own, but not everything my customers would need. And you can't buy at retail and resell at retail. Upon purchasing my business Toby resolved that issue by becoming a branch of DMCH, something I was unable (due to location) and unwilling to do. That worked for a while, but as with many such unions a "dissolution" was inevitable.

RIP John.

Darryl T
    Retired, restoring cars, building street rods
    Still lurking here daily"

As noted we just co-existed. There was never any thought of legal action as I don't operate that way. We "traveled in different spheres" I guess - didn't overlap that much. But he did cause me some grief when his customers, having issues with his service or parts, would call me to complain due to the name similarity. I straightened them out...
    I like you, Darryl. You once saved me a ton of work and sold me a solitary antenna mast so that I didn't have to buy an entirely new antenna assembly.

But I do remember you came across as a whole lot more upset by Hervey's actions and his flippant attitude towards you.

http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-.../msg38724.html

I'm still amazed to this day that John didn't go out of business sooner with his terrible organizational skills, or rather lack thereof.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Low volume vehicle law is pretty clear that any car produced under that act must look like the original vehicle. DMC still clinging on to that non DeLorean car may hint that they are completely abandoning the act that has pretty much stalled. Perhaps they are going to purchase all or part of some obscure low production car company that has already jumped through all the government hoops and has a car already completed.

If there is some sort of collaboration, all they need to do is slap a "DMC" badge on it and call it a day.
    Looks like (on the surface) I was about 80% right. The rumor is they are going in with a 3 wheeled electric "car", so with 3 wheels, the vehicle doesn't have to conform to nearly any of the safety protocols that a normal automobile does.

If that's true, then the new DeLorean will be nothing more than a rebadged "econobox" electric trike with all the status and prominence of those rental electric cars you see married couples from Arkansas riding around in at the beach.

Motor journalist bloggers and Jalopnik millennials will fawn over it and you may even see it on the morning shows in NYC, but that will be nothing more than a flash in the pan. It will have the lifespan of a Mayfly and be dead in the water by 2023.

If however it rises above the run of the mill 3 wheelers out there, the name alone may help propel it to cult status. I spent a few weekends with a Slingshot when they first came out. I was impressed for a few days, but the shine didn't last and the appeal faded fast. That said, a lot of people bought them and a lot of people enjoy them...as a recreational toy, not really a GT car.

In the end we may like it or hate it, not really important either way. It's their risk to take and their direction to go. They have to make money too and if this venture works, then good for them....and about time because finally...after 11+ years of teasing, at least they got something to show for it, even if it's 3/4 of a car.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2022 at 06:05 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast