FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean Motor Company (DMC) Texas threatening to sue Delorean owners now

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by gullwingD View Post
    This is exactly the issue I have -- it is morally wrong! The newcomers don't get it. John DeLorean is rolling in his grave. There will NEVER be a new DeLorean, you can put the name on it -- but it is not a DeLorean! As much as John wanted to create a new car, he would not want a 3rd party profiting off his his hard work, leaving no money for his family. His family was taken advantage of after his death.
    John Zachary De Lorean is dead. He has no say in anything. Be it building new cars, or even for idiot owners out there who continue to listen to sub-par scratchy radio in their cars because they're trying to "preserve" their cars because it's how JZD built the car. Let alone the fact that he wished Houston better luck with his own brand than he had. But it doesn't matter because he isn't here.

Ignoring the entire argument about the pedigrees of cars which was essentially destroyed by badge engineering and fully eliminated by captive imports, it doesn't matter anymore. Hell, even General Motors doesn't exist any more if you want to get technical about it. They went bankrupt, and a new company with a similar name took their former resources. Legally, they aren't the same. But no, you never hear anyone else complaining that their Silverado or Corvette isn't a "real" Chevrolet.

You honestly want to know what I think? I think that if you could somehow ask JZD, be it across the void of the Great Beyond, or if you could meet him in the past, he'd probably be perfectly fine with what is going on. Sure, the only exception he'd have would most likely be that he wouldn't be around to see some personal income since he'd be long dead by this time. But he'd love every minute of it. Why you ask?

No one remembers the big CEOs like Ed Cole, and even people like Lee Iacocca are a fast fading memory. Most people don't even know how many Ford family members there are, let alone can tell them apart. Only hardcore Corvette guys know who Zora Arkus-Duntov is, and other designers like Larry Shinoda who pioneered not just muscle cars from the 60's but the echoes from his design studio can still be seen in the Jeep brand today are all but anonymous now. But John Z. De Lorean won. He's the one that everyone will remember. His name, his image, his legend will continue on. Just like Obwaandi'eyaag.

Now I'm sure you've no idea who Obwaandi'eyaag is. So I'll save you a search. He was an indigenous war chief from the Detroit area who fought against settlers and was considered by some a hero, and a villain by others. You probably know him better by his more common name, Pontiac.

156 years after his death, his name, and occasionally (interpreted) likeness was emblazoned upon automobiles that had not even been invented in his lifetime. Eventually his name, thanks to a young engineer named John Z. De Lorean who would ultimately head the company division, would command great respect on the road and among the people. And just like what De Lorean did for Pontiac, the same shall be done for De Lorean. JZD has become the new Pontiac. What the automotive world did for Pontiac, it will now in an interesting twist of fate, do the same for De Lorean.

So yes, he'd be happy because he won. His name has become not simply famous, but it is now legend beyond what any of his peers could achieve.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4267

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    ^THIS!! Or some failed italdesign project that will be salvaged by slapping a DMC logo on it.
    I was sent this by anther eagle-eyed D owner and I wonder if this is the plan:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...c-grand-tourer

I don't see how it would be possible unless Ital have a manufacturing partner, though. Individually they would cost moon-money. I'm not crazy about all of this (can't wait to add "is that one of the old ones" to the list of stupid questions), but if the above is the case then it's probably as close to the spirit of the original car as you can get.
    Last edited by matt clark; 02-14-2022 at 06:59 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by matt clark View Post

I don't see how it would be possible unless Ital have a manufacturing partner, though. Individually they would cost moon-money. I'm not crazy about all of this (can't wait to add "is that one of the old ones" to the list of stupid questions), but if the above is the case then it's probably as close to the spirit of the original car as you can get.
    To draw a unconventional parallel, I used to sell a lot of guns before the market got stupid crazy. I had much better success selling to the $600.00 and less crowd than to the $700 and up crowd. Reason being the people with deeper pockets knew what they were doing.

Now consider the proposed 6 figure price point of most GT electrics. Which would you rather have, an obscure electric with a "DMC" badge pasted on for dewy eyed romantics or at the same price, a brand new 2022 Lexus LC500 that comes with top tier performance and build quality, global warranty support, and the company is older than my T shirt?

If they go for the 6 figure crowd, they damn well better have a stellar product.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03500

You beat me to it!
    I was doing some detective work myself and it was my conclusion as well. There's a lot of similar things going on.
    We just have to wait I guess.

Dave B.

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

DeLorean or not... that ItalDesign Concept is sexy as fuck!

davinci_fronthigh2.jpg

My primary issue with all Electric Vehicles is Battery Degradation. Battery cells naturally degrade due to constantly being drained and charged non-stop and you WILL be forced to replace your batteries every 5-8 years if you want to continue to use your EV to its fullest potential. The money that you originally save in Fuel is simply being reallocated to the cost of battery replacement which commonly runs into the 5 figure range. As of right now, it's a gimmick. Until battery degradation is almost solved, I will never purchase nor give any thought to purchasing an electric vehicle.
    Last edited by JBaker4981; 02-14-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: GrAmMaR iS hArD
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    5591

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Reading all of the posts this thread reminds me of why I opted to become an online recluse by cutting off contact with most people and the community itself.
    👆🏻 THIS. Right here.

I was super-involved with the community and my local club (DMA) for years before even buying my car. Complete drama, too many strong personalities, and just overall BS that took the joy away from ownership caused me to step away too. That was in the club, the DML, and at events. Just awful.

Every single time I dip a toe back into things, I'm reminded real quick how stupid things get.

It's a car. DMC is a business. People gotta freaking chill out. The amount of in-fighting for such a small community is mind-bloggling. I swear we couldn't get consensus on anything if we tried. Like DMCH, don't like DMCH, want to sell your own stuff, don't want to sell your stuff, involved or not, it is so much drama. And for what? Go enjoy your car. You know, the ACTUAL thing that's supposed to bring some joy to our lives as owners.

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    ���� THIS. Right here.

I was super-involved with the community and my local club (DMA) for years before even buying my car. Complete drama, too many strong personalities, and just overall BS that took the joy away from ownership caused me to step away too. That was in the club, the DML, and at events. Just awful.

Every single time I dip a toe back into things, I'm reminded real quick how stupid things get.

It's a car. DMC is a business. People gotta freaking chill out. The amount of in-fighting for such a small community is mind-bloggling. I swear we couldn't get consensus on anything if we tried. Like DMCH, don't like DMCH, want to sell your own stuff, don't want to sell your stuff, involved or not, it is so much drama. And for what? Go enjoy your car. You know, the ACTUAL thing that's supposed to bring some joy to our lives as owners.
    You guys are really missed too. Why is it that whenever people like to discuss and have conversations, even debates, someone always cries foul and runs away? It's not drama. It's not fighting and nobody needs to "chill out". Stop trying to be the lone voice of reason and maturity while at the same time elevating yourself to "I'm better than all of this" status with your self serving lectures. This is a discussion forum aptly named DMCTalk and the sub forum "DeLorean discussion"...WTF did you think we would be doing here?
    Strong opinions aside, I like opiniated people even if we don't see things the same. I like conversing with those people and some the ones whom I have had "strong discussions" with in the past, (I guess that would be what you call drama and fighting) I have since became good friends with. They have even stayed at my home and we hung out together at DMC events(while you two sour pusses stayed home with the blinds drawn wallowing in your self righteousness).
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2022 at 10:34 AM.

My VIN:    5591

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You guys are really missed too. Why is it that whenever people like to discuss and have conversations, even debates, someone always cries foul and runs away? It's not drama. It's not fighting and nobody needs to "chill out". Stop trying to be the lone voice of reason and maturity while at the same time elevating yourself to "I'm better than all of this" status with your self serving lectures. This is a discussion forum aptly named DMCTalk and the sub forum "DeLorean discussion"...WTF did you think we would be doing here?
    Strong opinions aside, I like opiniated people even if we don't see things the same. I like conversing with those people and some the ones whom I have had differing opinions in the past, I have since became good friends with. They have even stayed at my home and we hung out together at DMC events(while you two sour pusses stayed home with the blinds drawn wallowing in your self righteousness).
    You make good points, Mike. There's a few assumptions, which is fine, so I just want to clarify my position. Whether anyone agrees or doesn't agree with it is fine. I know everyone is coming from different angles.

I'm not saying there's no room for debates or lengthy discussion (we're on page 11 of this thread!) but I do think there is a lot of unnecessary stirring of the pot and circular discussions that don't make any progress. I personally simply don't want to be a part of that aspect of the community.

I am definitely not trying to be a 'lone voice' or anything. Just stating my position (which I KNOW people will disagree with) that we don't need to get so wrapped up in things that are supposed to bring us happiness.

Removing myself from the community was a decision I made for MY mental health. I've wanted a Delorean since I was a kid and busted my butt to get one. To then see there was an ancilary aspect to ownership that was negative was... frustrating. I foolishly thought for a while that I could try to set a good example. Instead, I got caught up in it all and realized it was taking away from ownership instead of adding to it. Of all the "friends" I made over the years through ownership, only ONE would ever try to keep in contact with me. Everyone else was kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and, again, that is fine. So I'm not being a "sour puss at home with the blinds drawn". I'm making sure I prioritize my own state of mind by selectively including myself in thing and equally removing myself too. This community can freaking consume you if you let it (Marc even said so in his response to James).

I think there's a LOT of animosity toward DMCH (misplaced or not) which doesn't help anything. James' reply a few pages ago was IMO good and well-written. He flat-out apologized for the SunnyV thing and seems to be genuine in his statements. Like all of us, he's not perfect. I sure as hell aren't perfect either. I simply want one thing: to enjoy my car.

Quote Originally Posted by MacStainless View Post
    You make good points, Mike. There's a few assumptions, which is fine, so I just want to clarify my position. Whether anyone agrees or doesn't agree with it is fine. I know everyone is coming from different angles.

I'm not saying there's no room for debates or lengthy discussion (we're on page 11 of this thread!) but I do think there is a lot of unnecessary stirring of the pot and circular discussions that don't make any progress. I personally simply don't want to be a part of that aspect of the community.

I am definitely not trying to be a 'lone voice' or anything. Just stating my position (which I KNOW people will disagree with) that we don't need to get so wrapped up in things that are supposed to bring us happiness.

Removing myself from the community was a decision I made for MY mental health. I've wanted a Delorean since I was a kid and busted my butt to get one. To then see there was an ancilary aspect to ownership that was negative was... frustrating. I foolishly thought for a while that I could try to set a good example. Instead, I got caught up in it all and realized it was taking away from ownership instead of adding to it. Of all the "friends" I made over the years through ownership, only ONE would ever try to keep in contact with me. Everyone else was kinda ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and, again, that is fine. So I'm not being a "sour puss at home with the blinds drawn". I'm making sure I prioritize my own state of mind by selectively including myself in thing and equally removing myself too. This community can freaking consume you if you let it (Marc even said so in his response to James).

I think there's a LOT of animosity toward DMCH (misplaced or not) which doesn't help anything. James' reply a few pages ago was IMO good and well-written. He flat-out apologized for the SunnyV thing and seems to be genuine in his statements. Like all of us, he's not perfect. I sure as hell aren't perfect either. I simply want one thing: to enjoy my car.
    Hey no worries man. I get it. Too much of anything is bad and it don't take very much of being in this community to need to unplug for a bit..or longer. Your opinion is just as valid as mine.

I too am fine with James' apology and I promise I will not bring it up anymore. Winter seems to keep most of us in front of a screen more and with the last few years to boot, it stands to reason we are all a little more on edge.

Sorry I may have "overacted"... it's the sign of a opiniated drama queen.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-14-2022 at 11:30 AM.

The Ford family is still involved with the business and still gets paid. Would love to hear how Kathryn and Zach feel about how DMCH acquired the stylized logo, and how they're selling new merch with the family name, without getting a dime, or not getting royalties from the Back to Future franchise for so many years. I think we need another movie, or documentary. A LOT of unanswered questions and confusion - and the general public should know.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    John Zachary De Lorean is dead. He has no say in anything. Be it building new cars, or even for idiot owners out there who continue to listen to sub-par scratchy radio in their cars because they're trying to "preserve" their cars because it's how JZD built the car. Let alone the fact that he wished Houston better luck with his own brand than he had. But it doesn't matter because he isn't here.

Ignoring the entire argument about the pedigrees of cars which was essentially destroyed by badge engineering and fully eliminated by captive imports, it doesn't matter anymore. Hell, even General Motors doesn't exist any more if you want to get technical about it. They went bankrupt, and a new company with a similar name took their former resources. Legally, they aren't the same. But no, you never hear anyone else complaining that their Silverado or Corvette isn't a "real" Chevrolet.

You honestly want to know what I think? I think that if you could somehow ask JZD, be it across the void of the Great Beyond, or if you could meet him in the past, he'd probably be perfectly fine with what is going on. Sure, the only exception he'd have would most likely be that he wouldn't be around to see some personal income since he'd be long dead by this time. But he'd love every minute of it. Why you ask?

No one remembers the big CEOs like Ed Cole, and even people like Lee Iacocca are a fast fading memory. Most people don't even know how many Ford family members there are, let alone can tell them apart. Only hardcore Corvette guys know who Zora Arkus-Duntov is, and other designers like Larry Shinoda who pioneered not just muscle cars from the 60's but the echoes from his design studio can still be seen in the Jeep brand today are all but anonymous now. But John Z. De Lorean won. He's the one that everyone will remember. His name, his image, his legend will continue on. Just like Obwaandi'eyaag.

Now I'm sure you've no idea who Obwaandi'eyaag is. So I'll save you a search. He was an indigenous war chief from the Detroit area who fought against settlers and was considered by some a hero, and a villain by others. You probably know him better by his more common name, Pontiac.

156 years after his death, his name, and occasionally (interpreted) likeness was emblazoned upon automobiles that had not even been invented in his lifetime. Eventually his name, thanks to a young engineer named John Z. De Lorean who would ultimately head the company division, would command great respect on the road and among the people. And just like what De Lorean did for Pontiac, the same shall be done for De Lorean. JZD has become the new Pontiac. What the automotive world did for Pontiac, it will now in an interesting twist of fate, do the same for De Lorean.

So yes, he'd be happy because he won. His name has become not simply famous, but it is now legend beyond what any of his peers could achieve.
    Last edited by gullwingD; 02-14-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast