FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Old exhaust - toss, keep or sell?

My VIN:    10207

Question Old exhaust - toss, keep or sell?

So, in preparation for installing a stage 1 exhaust upgrade, I removed the exhaust system. I'm not sure how much is stock, I think the exhaust manifolds and the crossover pipe is original. The exhaust itself seems to include som stock-ish parts, welded together with some unoriginal parts, and now pretty rusted out.

DSC_0562.jpg
    DSC_0566_1.jpg
    DSC_0563.jpg
    DSC_0564.jpg

So, what do I do with this? Is it all just worthless at this point? Is it worth holding on to?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    11596

Looks original except for the Flowmaster muffler. I see people selling original exhaust all the time but it's not worth much. I got rid of all my old exhaust but for some reason I kept the muffler.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

First off, congratulations for getting the manifolds out, I loathed that job.

Next, does your car have to pass emissions tests where you live? I would check but looking at what you removed the Flowmaster muffler is not stock. OEM units are stainless steel so no rust to worry about. I do not know what else could use a muffler like that but it might be worth something to someone.

I'd list the manifolds and see if anyone is interested.

The crossover pipe is a tough one, seems wrong to throw it away but it seems to be the part most people are eager to take out and free up some space in the engine bay. I've had one sitting around for 9 years now.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

The catalytic converter and the crossover pipe are made of stainless. The manifolds are cast iron. All three can be refurbed easily and inexpensively by bead blasting and painting with POR-15 High Temp. I would post them for sale in your area. It would be a shame to throw them away.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)