FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Keys cut by code

Keys cut by code

Hello,

Any suggestions on where I can order a cut key? Have the code and blanks but local locksmiths are telling me they need the original to trace off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by maliahmed.scu View Post
    Hello,

Any suggestions on where I can order a cut key? Have the code and blanks but local locksmiths are telling me they need the original to trace off of.

That’s BS. You need to take it to an actual locksmith business. Hardware stores and such can only duplicate from an original. I’ve had multiple keys cut by code. Typically they will use a VO73 key blank and cut one side from the code Settings. That becomes the Master pattern. They use that to cut both sides of your supplied DMC blanks.

DMCH can cut new keys from code or from an up close photo you email them. They can decipher the pattern.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I didn’t realize DMCH is cutting them with proof of ownership. Sent them all the required docs and they got it handled. Couldn’t be happier with it unless they were around the corner and not cross country.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not that it matters now, but, the code is usually on the driver's door under the headliner in magic marker. DMCH can decode the key from a photocopy. Get 2 keys. FYI, the early cars had a 2 key system, one set for the doors and cubby, the other for the ignition. DMCH no longer supports the 2 key system, they will tell you to convert to the 1 key system. On the early cars with a hood flap there would also be a set of keys for the gas cap and the ski rack comes with it's own set of 2 keys. To preserve the locks and keys consider upgrading to a remote unlocking system with a key fob. Be very careful when inserting the key into the door cylinder. There was a SB on that.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

On some (many?) cars the key code, along with the VIN is on a sticker on the bottom of the steering canopy. Of course, after 40 years, good
    luck if it's still there - it is on both my cars. However, on my early VIN project (which would have originally been a 2 key system), it was in fact the VIN
    of the donor parts car with a much later VIN; resolving a mystery I'd had about it.

In my case, I only got one key from the PO, but bought some blanks and took them to the hardware store. I later found the head of an original
    ignition key in the shifter area. under the rubber damper.

The car had also had a lockable fuel cap, but the fit is so poor, I put a regular one in - I don't have the gas flap in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    That’s BS. You need to take it to an actual locksmith business.
    It’s a CYA thing. Having a key code doesn’t prove you’re the owner of the vehicle. By saying no they are trying to shield themselves from trouble by not making a key for the stranger who just walked into their shop claiming it’s for a car they own. I use to see this a lot when I was in the auto biz.

Copying keys is different. In that case you are not providing the customer with access to anything they didn’t already have access to. Way different story.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    It’s a CYA thing. Having a key code doesn’t prove you’re the owner of the vehicle. By saying no they are trying to shield themselves from trouble by not making a key for the stranger who just walked into their shop claiming it’s for a car they own. I use to see this a lot when I was in the auto biz.

Copying keys is different. In that case you are not providing the customer with access to anything they didn’t already have access to. Way different story.
    If that were the case, they would ask the person to provide proof of ownership ( registration ). That was not the case with the OP. They said, they could not make a key without the original to duplicate.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

dmch can cut keys from code, vin, and proof of ownership.

I ordered a few reproduction keys. They all began twisting after a short period of use. One twisted off completely. Each was made of brass, and each were used with brand new door locks that were replaced in ~2015.

So in 2017, I investigated having a steel key made. It was very difficult to find anyone who would cut a steel key in the U.S., so I purchased a set from keys4classics.com, which is located in Australia. The cost was about $32, and this has completely resolved my problem with twisting keys for at least the last 5 years.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I ordered a few reproduction keys. They all began twisting after a short period of use. One twisted off completely. Each was made of brass, and each were used with brand new door locks that were replaced in ~2015.

So in 2017, I investigated having a steel key made. It was very difficult to find anyone who would cut a steel key in the U.S., so I purchased a set from keys4classics.com, which is located in Australia. The cost was about $32, and this has completely resolved my problem with twisting keys for at least the last 5 years.
    In the future try Jesser Keys.
    David Teitelbaum