FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Ledt side blinker short circuit?

My VIN:    05141

Ledt side blinker short circuit?

Hi.

I hope someone had the same experience and knows the solution.
    Lights off, blinkers go perfect
    Lights on, right lights ok, also on the side, on the left front and side blinker permanently on but very dim , rear left blinker on in full.
    Blinkers do not work.

I did remove the headlights to repaint the facias, but I see nothing wrong. Connected the headlights again, so difference.

Slim chance but any ideas?

Thanks,
    John

Steering with power

John,
    Your symptoms can be caused by a poor ground connection in the left front turn signal / running light. This is a dual element 1157 bulb and when the base does not have a good path to ground it can back-feed through the other element.

I would take out the lens and closely examine the bulb and socket. Corrosion can prevent a good connection between the bulb base and the socket. It should be evident. Roll up some emery cloth or sandpaper and clean out the socket. treat the socket with some anticorrosion spray like CorrosionX. It's also possible that the harness connector for the light socket is corroded or not making good contact for some reason. Check its condition and clean the pins. Finally, the bulb needs to be properly inserted. There's a slight twist after pushing in the bulb to align the connections. BTW, the bulb will only go in one way, if it gives resistance, rotate 180 and try again.

Ron

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

...if the left front blinker-position bulb is installed correctly and making good connection, look inside the bulb and see if one of its filaments has burnt loose and fell across the other filament.

Thanks.
    The Delorean will be back this Friday, I will give this a try.

John

Steering with power

My VIN:    03572

For your info:

The front lights run on two ground wires going back to the relay compartment through the connectors in the washer bottle. I'm guessing they planed to have an indicator to warn of a light inoperative using those grounds. What I did was rewire the front lights to use frame ground. That can let you use those two large ground wires to power something up front if you need it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    For your info:

The front lights run on two ground wires going back to the relay compartment through the connectors in the washer bottle. I'm guessing they planed to have an indicator to warn of a light inoperative using those grounds. What I did was rewire the front lights to use frame ground. That can let you use those two large ground wires to power something up front if you need it.
    Good idea and good to know.
    Ron

Thank you for the responses everyone.
    I found the cause. It was in;a poor connection in the left side blinker.
    Cleaned it out and all good now.

John

Steering with power