Thread: Door strut retaining plates (108653/108655 or improved versions)

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Door strut retaining plates (108653/108655 or improved versions)

Looking for the door strut retaining plates found here: https://www.delorean.com/store/c-308...rutsseals.aspx - P/Ns 108653 and 108655. Grady was also making improved ones for a while but every vendor appears to be out of both original and improved models with no plans to reproduce.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Oh, nice. Those are an interesting design. I'll get in touch with him with some questions, thanks!

I highly recommend Sean's advise. Replacing the original parts leaves you open to one day replacing them again. I have had these on my D for 2 and 1/2 years. When i replaced the one for the broken door I also replaced the door that was not broken. It is really nice to finally get in and out of the D without having to ask my wife for help.

Just a thought
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by BTTF-1 View Post
    I highly recommend Sean's advise. Replacing the original parts leaves you open to one day replacing them again. I have had these on my D for 2 and 1/2 years. When i replaced the one for the broken door I also replaced the door that was not broken. It is really nice to finally get in and out of the D without having to ask my wife for help.

Just a thought
    Ed
    Yeah, I'd do them both. Thanks for the help guys!

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I installed Byrne's product about a month ago. It didn't take long to install and know I have a solid mount that is way better than the original design. I really recommend his product.

It is a little expensive in my opinion, but its easy to install and you should never have to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I installed Byrne's product about a month ago. It didn't take long to install and know I have a solid mount that is way better than the original design. I really recommend his product.

It is a little expensive in my opinion, but its easy to install and you should never have to do it again.
    His page says you don't have to remove the T- or quarter panels to install these mounts; what do you do about the potentially bent plate holding the current ball stud? Just unscrew the stud and leave the plates in place behind the T panel, then slide Byrne's mounts in place over them?

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    His page says you don't have to remove the T- or quarter panels to install these mounts; what do you do about the potentially bent plate holding the current ball stud? Just unscrew the stud and leave the plates in place behind the T panel, then slide Byrne's mounts in place over them?
    Yep. Unscrew the stud, leave the plate in place, and fill in the hole with black RTV to prevent possible leaks.

Further information on my install can be found here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ght=door+strut

Really? Why isn't Sean doing his job that he gets paid so well to do?