FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Welp. I "rescued" my 2nd Delorean today.....help me formulate a game plan?

Thanks for the tips ya'll. I think a plan is coming together. Love it when a plan comes together.

I am planning on getting clutch and brakes sorted, and address the "gummy" feeling transmission.(drain/refill trans fluid? diff too while I'm at it?)

Two issues I see needing an immediate remedy for are the struts/supports(got em ordered), and the smell of the interior. Its musty/mildewy. Should I pull the carpet, or can I clean it in place? My first wave would be vinegar, baking soda, hot water, and a shop vac. I have several fans at my shop space, so I should be able to move alot of air through the car itself. Thoughts on that?

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Its musty/mildewy. Should I pull the carpet, or can I clean it in place? My first wave would be vinegar, baking soda, hot water, and a shop vac. I have several fans at my shop space, so I should be able to move alot of air through the car itself. Thoughts on that?
    Is it truly mildew i.e. mold growth? Or is it simply smelling stale or as some would call it "DeLorean smell". I would figure out what is the cause first, because different solutions are needed for different problems.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    I am planning on getting clutch and brakes sorted, and address the "gummy" feeling transmission.(drain/refill trans fluid? diff too while I'm at it?)
    Not sure what you mean by a gummy feeling in the transmission. Since the car doesn't run I assume you're feeling that in the shifter?

If so then tell us in which direction(s) you are feeling that resistance. Left-right (excluding the return springs) or fore-aft or both? Some of the linkage may need cleaning/lube.

The manual transaxle oil doesn't get gummy, even if the car's just sitting, as far as I know. Nothing wrong with renewing it if you do it right.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Is it truly mildew i.e. mold growth? Or is it simply smelling stale or as some would call it "DeLorean smell". I would figure out what is the cause first, because different solutions are needed for different problems.
    My car had the Delorean smell/old car smell. 30-40 minutes with an ozone machine and it's 90% improved.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

i can't see mold or mildew yet, but this smell is what i associate with that. it doesnt smell just like "old car smell" to me. I will likely give the carpet a spray of vinegar, leave the doors open, and blast it with fans, and then try baking soda, and see where that gets me.

on the manual transaxle, L-R in neutral has a lot of resistance, and up/down 1st/2nd gear is better but still not great. i can try lubricating the linkage and see where that gets me. thanks!

Arrow

I would just shampoo the carpet real good. Then dry it out with the fans. (After a wetvac) I’m not sure about the vinegar. Is that something you’ve done before? Maybe treat the leather with something.

I just finished another project that I installed new leather seats in. It smells like a new car. I would love to get that smell in the Delorean. I’ve seen some sprays in the parts stores that say “new car smell”. Not sure if they are snake oil. Mine doesn’t really smell at all. I will say I’ve flown a few aircraft that were cleaned with “Fabreez”. It’s pretty nice. I might try it.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pull all of the carpeting and shampoo it. The padding is what holds the smells. Also if the brake or clutch master leaked you will find brake fluid under the driver's carpet.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

And when you're done with any of these remedies and there is still a lingering odor try half a box of baking soda spread out in a pie tin or a tray placed on the floor or the parcel shelf. With the doors closed. Mabye two of them if it's a strong odor.

It has done wonders for random smells in my other cars (dry pet food, spilled coffee, passengers wearing way too much cologne during a drive).

Just be sure to renew the baking soda every 2-3 days. Try that for a week or two.

And remember to remove it before you drive the car!
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03430

I just picked up a second project as well. (well... in February) though this one was a little more used and not stored very well. despite that, I got it running without rebuilding the fuel distributor, the WUR needed attention and i had a second one on hand. All was well, started up and ran even with the WUR not doing its job well, but run better after swapping it out. Not saying it wont benefit from a wholesale rebuild, just that it may not need it. You can always send it out later. Was there still gas in the tank?

If you're planning to drop the fuel tank out anyway, that makes it super easy to clean yourself. Use acetone and some lint free rags and go to town. its pretty easy to clean in the car too if you con/don't mind climbing into the luggage compartment and contorting yourself. It is difficult to reach the back of the tank, but a wooden stick or piece of PVC or something to extend your reach with some rags wrapped around it makes it doable. I tape the rags to what i'm using so they stay put. either way, it cleans up pretty easy with acetone.

I also swapped out all the rubber bushings on my first car... i kinda wish i wouldn't have because they weren't really worn out and now I'm worried about the quality of the replacements... My first car had 40k miles on it and they still had plenty of life left. Inspect them for cracking and separation between he metal and rubber. If they are not separated, it wouldn't change them out. I wouldn't take the suspension apart just to change them either.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Step 1: Acquire DeLorean
    Step 2:???
    Step 3: Profit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast