FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Alpha 5 is revealed

My VIN:    3937

Oh, I hadn't realized they weren't even street legal. Ok, ya, it's a non-issue. Dumb really. Carry on...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

88 non-legal cars? Is that for testing? I don’t get it.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Saw this CNET review this morning. Guy does a nice job showing off some of the tech features like the ability to display the old school instrument cluster.

Where was this thing made?

I can't relate to someone with a lifestyle capable of affording a $175,000 USD toy.
    Nice features! It is a more detailed prototype than I was expecting.

My understanding is the prototype was made in Italy. If you look closely at the DeLorean script on the rear, it includes an Italian flag.

It is also my understanding that the first edition is limited to 88 cars. With that low a number, people in line are typically collectors who are not worried by the price. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are spoken for. It is similar to the launch editions of the EV Hummer, and the EV Silverado, both are north of $100,000, before additional dealer markup.

IMO, it will be the cars after these launch editions that the masses will pay attention to.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-21-2022 at 04:51 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I read somewhere that the first cars would be made in an existing facility in Canada or The Carolinas.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16306

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...lpha5-concept/

CEO Joost de Vries specifies that the first run will be 88 limited edition, track-only cars meant to "serve as an avatar for an associated NFT," but that will be followed by a production run of cars that would be eligible for actual legal registration and use.
    So the first 88 are more NFT related stuff, which I don't think exactly went so well the last time they tried to push that

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Nice features! It is a more detailed prototype than I was expecting.

My understanding is the prototype was made in Italy. If you look closely at the DeLorean script on the rear, it includes an Italian flag.

It is also my understanding that the first edition is limited to 88 cars. With that low a number, people in line are typically collectors who are not worried by the price. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are spoken for. It is similar to the launch editions of the EV Hummer, and the EV Silverado, both are north of $100,000, before additional dealer markup.

IMO, it will be the cars after these launch editions that the masses will pay attention to.
    To me those are Irish flag colors not Italian. I think it's a Easter egg too the original.
    The last color is orange not red.

Dave B.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Saw this CNET review this morning. Guy does a nice job showing off some of the tech features like the ability to display the old school instrument cluster.
    ... sans the old school DMC logo. I wonder why? Do they not want to pay themselves royalties?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    To me those are Irish flag colors not Italian. I think it's a Easter egg too the original.
    The last color is orange not red.

Dave B.
    But that's wrong, and Steven Wynne of all people should know that. It should either the the Union Jack or the NI flag. As much as some people may want it to be an Irish car, it wasn't (at least politically speaking anyway)

On the CNET review, I found the cars ability to stalk your phone contacts to be a little creepy and an odd thing to highlight for a new car.

I presume the "track only" cars don't have to get NHTSA crash approval, so maybe that's the way to get them out there and sell NFTs and HotWheels, while avoiding all that cost in destroying prototypes (which even DMCL did)
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6125

So in addition to the Alpha 5 reveal, they also revealed an Alpha 5 Plasmatail concept which is a shooting brake / wagon version of the Alpha 5, and a 2040 concept for some kind of Baja thing.

The instagram comments have not been kind...

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChgpsjLsz1M/

Last edited by Mark D; 08-22-2022 at 10:26 AM.

88 people are willing to pay 175 grand for a 4 seat track car? I must be getting old. I do not understand the world anymore.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast