FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Front end weight / ride quality question/ adding weight

My VIN:    nov 81

Front end weight / ride quality question/ adding weight

The day the car was shipped I immediately purchased the front lowering springs from Dgo. The car already had the Delorean coil overs with adjustable shocks installed but he never changed the front springs. I only had the car 3 days before i swapped them and completed other front end work (tie rod ends/lower ball joints/all sway bar bushings/steering column bushing) so i do not have a good idea on ride with the old springs vs new.
    After all that I had a few runs up and down the street adjusting settings on the shocks until i found a good ride/performance combo.

In all the short drives and suspension adjustments over days of messing with it when I had time, I started to notice how much different the car handles with a full tank of gas. Especially on the highway. from a full tank to a quarter tank it is a totally different car. some of the little vibes go away and it feels so much more stable. Once i figured this out i decided to try something else. I bought two 60lbs bags of sand and wrapped them in trash bags so they wouldnt leak and supported them all the way in the front of trunk. (in front of the wheels). It was a Massive stability change all around! downside is that it made it harder to turn steering wheel at a stop or very low speeds. I couldn't believe the difference in ride quality of the car with that weight.

I dont know how the stock suspension feels. is this just an issue because of the stiffer shocks and springs? Has anyone ever noticed this or tried doing something like this? Anyone went back to stock suspension after changing out to coil overs and adjustable shocks because of the ride? I have no reference since I have not been in any other delorean

I only put the sandbags in to see if i was on the right track. I took them out after a couple days as its a sloppy solution. Now I just fill up with gas before I hit the half tank mark )

Thanks for your time

Dave

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I bought two 60lbs bags of sand and wrapped them in trash bags so they wouldnt leak and supported them all the way in the front of trunk. (in front of the wheels).
    I've done exactly the same. When my D got lowered with Eibachs, the rear height was perfect but the fronts still sat a bit too high in comparison to the rears (the fronts aren't adjustable). With the added weight in the trunk, the stance is now perfect, and even helps balance out the front-rear weight distribution. Only downside is the added overall weight to the car making it even slower.