I don't mean to be a nag, but the answer to my question possibly dictates my purchase of a new windshield.

I got a rock chip back in 2002 on the way to DCS. I've lived with it for 9 years now. My glass coverage deductible is $250. If I go ahead and spend that money along with the associated hassle of actually replacing the windshield, I really want it to be worth it for more than just the rock chip I've lived with for 9 years. If this glass has non-dimming tinting that can block out UV and IR like new cars can, I'd probably pay full price in a heartbeat. That tinting is the different between a cool car in the summer, and a COLD car, with perfect AC.

It is also known that this effectively blocks RF signals, making cellular service, radar detectors, and toll transponders ineffective. It is standard treatment however on these windshields to leave out a small portion of the tinting around the top and area around the rear view mirror just for these reasons.

A few quotes from glass companies...

Solar Management Glass/IRR Windshields - Infrared reflective glass is auto glazing with low-E. Windshields with IRR reflect sunlight, which significantly reduces the amount of sun absorbed into the vehicle. The resulting effect is a reduced load on vehicle air conditioning units.
---
– Comparison with ordinary windshield, SOLAR-X windshield has many excellent performances -

· Heat blocking feature: The LOW-E coated layer in SOLAR-X windshield can block 60 percent of solar heat energy, that decrease the load of automobile's air conditioning, which means improved for fuel consumption and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
--
Earlier this summer, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) voted unanimously to require auto manufacturers to install low-e glass on all new cars sold within the state starting in 2012.

This type of glass is manufactured by many customers of Applied's Glass Coating Products division and is designed to help keep the interiors of vehicles cooler during the summer months, reducing the need for air conditioning, boosting fuel efficiency and reducing carbon emissions at the same time.
I agree its wonderful that DMC has been investing in new parts for our 30-year old cars. Its also great how in many cases newer technology has been incorporated into these parts to make them functionally better and hopefully last longer than their 30-year-old originals. I merely hope the re-manufactured windshield got the same treatment.