FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: New windshields - update

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Is it covered by the shippers insurance or is it considered random AOG? bullseye or line crack?
    Looks to me like a rock hit it at the very top, but no marks on the header.

I have no clue about responsibility. But it's a good example of why I strongly recommend closed carriers.

Carriers are "insured" but good luck with that.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Is there a picture of the new windshield with the cracked glass? Is it possible it cracked from stress or poor manufacture? Hopefully, this is not the case. I like the idea of newly manufactured windshields since OEM ones are very hard to find.
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I saw the the damage today. It's definitely an Impact of some kind. Their is a pretty good chunk out of it. But it's in an odd location. Partially hidden by the Header trim. Their is no witness mark on the header at all.

Update on UV glass blocking Toll pass transponders: I Confirmed, they don't work. I stopped at a IPASS Service center a couple weeks ago to look into getting the License Plate Mounted Transponder. The Unit is rather large and ugly compared to the windshield version. I opted not to get it. Last night the proverbial Light bulb went on in my head. Instead of mounting the transponder to the license plate why not near it. I took the windshield unit and temporarily secured (Taped) it to the back of the Grill insert (It's plastic). I went out of my way today just to try it out the tollway. It WORKED PERFECTLY mounted like that. So My garage door opener works and my toll pass works. That was easy.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 05-06-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    06960

Installed my new UV/IR windshield today.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...ll=1#post56025

Installation went pretty good. Did have to jack the roof a little over 1/2 inch to close the cap/even out the gap in the top center. Driver's door didn't latch the greatest after doing that, and I think my passenger door (which I've never been able to get great) lined up better! Hopefully I can adjust the driver's door to be as good as its been over the last 12 years.

Thanks again DMC for making these!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    11596

Jim what do you mean by jacking the windshield?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Jim what do you mean by jacking the windshield?
    No windshields were jacked last night. Ha. No, I jacked up the roof. You know, the thing the DMC vendors say is a possibility you'll need to do when replacing the windshield but Bill adamantly seem to say that under no circumstance would you ever need to. I do agree its probably not necessary under all conditions, but I believe my roof to have sagged for a while now. The top center of my original windshield had in fact let go of the car. HUGE water leak under the right conditions. It also was probably one of the reasons I could never perfectly align my passenger door.

Jacking was accomplished using my daily driver's spare tire scissor jack and a few pieces of wood. Placed it on the bare console and lifted cautiously until the gap in the middle of the dry-fit windshield was at a minimum. I'd say it was between a 1/2" and 3/4" lift.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

The next batch of windshields are due in early next week, so we should have all backorders cleared by then.

In July/August, we will receive the windshield's with antennas.

Finally, we now include the front outer door seals (that have to be removed to get to the screws that hold with windshield reveals in place) with all windshields along with the mirror pad at the same $450 price.

James

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    The next batch of windshields are due in early next week, so we should have all backorders cleared by then.

In July/August, we will receive the windshield's with antennas.

Finally, we now include the front outer door seals (that have to be removed to get to the screws that hold with windshield reveals in place) with all windshields along with the mirror pad at the same $450 price.

James
    Nice value-adds, that's a great idea James. Any idea on pricing for the antenna glass yet?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Nice value-adds, that's a great idea James. Any idea on pricing for the antenna glass yet?
    We'll use the original DMC part number, 100623, and the price will be $550. I wish it could have been less, but the volume just isn't there get a lower price.

James

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    We'll use the original DMC part number, 100623, and the price will be $550. I wish it could have been less, but the volume just isn't there get a lower price.

James
    Hey, what can you do. Did the antenna glass have the UV coating as well? Now I can't remember but I think you said it was UV but not IR.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast