FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New windshields - update

My VIN:    06960

I don't mean to be a nag, but the answer to my question possibly dictates my purchase of a new windshield.

I got a rock chip back in 2002 on the way to DCS. I've lived with it for 9 years now. My glass coverage deductible is $250. If I go ahead and spend that money along with the associated hassle of actually replacing the windshield, I really want it to be worth it for more than just the rock chip I've lived with for 9 years. If this glass has non-dimming tinting that can block out UV and IR like new cars can, I'd probably pay full price in a heartbeat. That tinting is the different between a cool car in the summer, and a COLD car, with perfect AC.

It is also known that this effectively blocks RF signals, making cellular service, radar detectors, and toll transponders ineffective. It is standard treatment however on these windshields to leave out a small portion of the tinting around the top and area around the rear view mirror just for these reasons.

A few quotes from glass companies...

Solar Management Glass/IRR Windshields - Infrared reflective glass is auto glazing with low-E. Windshields with IRR reflect sunlight, which significantly reduces the amount of sun absorbed into the vehicle. The resulting effect is a reduced load on vehicle air conditioning units.
    ---
    – Comparison with ordinary windshield, SOLAR-X windshield has many excellent performances -

· Heat blocking feature: The LOW-E coated layer in SOLAR-X windshield can block 60 percent of solar heat energy, that decrease the load of automobile's air conditioning, which means improved for fuel consumption and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
    --
    Earlier this summer, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) voted unanimously to require auto manufacturers to install low-e glass on all new cars sold within the state starting in 2012.

This type of glass is manufactured by many customers of Applied's Glass Coating Products division and is designed to help keep the interiors of vehicles cooler during the summer months, reducing the need for air conditioning, boosting fuel efficiency and reducing carbon emissions at the same time.
    I agree its wonderful that DMC has been investing in new parts for our 30-year old cars. Its also great how in many cases newer technology has been incorporated into these parts to make them functionally better and hopefully last longer than their 30-year-old originals. I merely hope the re-manufactured windshield got the same treatment.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    06960

Looks like the manufacturer DOES have what I'm looking for, but is it used in the current batch of windshields?

http://www.olimpia.com.tr/en/U113.php
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    03572

Jim that is exactly what I want. I will live with my pitted OEM windshield but the IR reflective would make me change it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Our first batch of new windshields has arrived today...
    awesome!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Put your toll tag in the rear panel glass above the pontoon.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Put your toll tag in the rear panel glass above the pontoon.

Farrar
    It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though. Another possible spot is under the cowl screen. If and when my windshield is next out I'll be mounting my gps antenna there...

BTW - I'm pretty sure my prius and chevy have this type of glass, and neither affects the RFID transponder I have. I'm sure it cuts the signal some, but enough to make a difference is argueable.
    Last edited by TTait; 10-20-2011 at 12:40 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though. Another possible spot is under the cowl screen. If and when my windshield is next out I'll be mounting my gps antenna there...

BTW - I'm pretty sure my prius and chevy have this type of glass, and neither affects the RFID transponder I have. I'm sure it cuts the signal some, but enough to make a difference is argueable.
    My GPS works in my daily drivers (sits on dash pad). I think the toll tags just use such a marginal signal that some done work there. You could get the tags that could attach to your front licence plate.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though.
    Oh, that's right -- I forgot that some folks attach them permanently. Most everyone I know has them attached with Velcro to their window, and they keep the tag in the glove box/under the seat/in the other car when they're not going to travel on toll roads.

I do like your solution of placement under the cowl, though -- if there's room for my windshield washer hose there's probably room for your toll tag.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    11596

Jim (dmc6960) is 100% spot-on about the glass. A/C cooling and sun damage has been a delorean problem for nearly 30 years. Why would someone go through the trouble of making new windshields without making them as modern as possible? I would pay a $500 premium for glass that reduces interior temps and allows me to run with less air conditioning. My windshield is pitted and I don't like driving at night with it. I want new glass.

If the new windshields don't have UV or ir tint, PLEASE give us the option to have it on the next run and I will gladly buy one. Im not paying $450 plus install just to remove pits. I want a real improvement at the same time. Lets make these cars as modern and reliable as possible!

Andy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

I wouldn't expect anyone to pay ANY amount to replace a pitted windshield. But when it's cracked, chipped or otherwise NEEDS replacement, this is the most attractive option. I'm in contact with the supplier to see what the details are on the specs of this glass.

James

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast