FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: driver side door lights

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

driver side door lights

The driver side door lights no long light when the door is open. The red diode show continuity in one direction. The one door plunger switch for the buzzer works with a B wire and P/U wire. The door plunger switch has a P/U and P/W wire. The P/U wire shows ground. P/W does not have voltage. Key is not in. The #12 fuse is good as every other light works - front trunk, engine, glove box, both interior curtesy lights, door ajar. Not sure where to even start looking for volt break to the P/W wire. Before they quit working totally, they would come on intermittently. Can I take the buzzer P/U wire to the door switch (in lieu of the P/W wire) to see if that lights the lights? Just trying to isolate where the issue is.

My VIN:    03500

Sorry I'm not an expert on this but I do know that the diode handles the power to the lights. The door switch only handles the ground side of the circuit so no power is supplied to those wires.

Dave B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    The driver side door lights no long light when the door is open. The red diode show continuity in one direction. The one door plunger switch for the buzzer works with a B wire and P/U wire. The door plunger switch has a P/U and P/W wire. The P/U wire shows ground. P/W does not have voltage. Key is not in. The #12 fuse is good as every other light works - front trunk, engine, glove box, both interior curtesy lights, door ajar. Not sure where to even start looking for volt break to the P/W wire. Before they quit working totally, they would come on intermittently. Can I take the buzzer P/U wire to the door switch (in lieu of the P/W wire) to see if that lights the lights? Just trying to isolate where the issue is.
    You have that backwards- The buzzer switch has the PW and PU wires. The switch for the left door lights are PU and B.

Fuse 12 feeds power to one side of the door bulbs with a P wire. The other side of the left door bulbs is connected to the PU wire (which taps a diode, but is not needed for the switch to turn the left door lights on...) and goes to the switch. When the switch is activated, it connects the PU wire to ground via the B wire, making the bulb come on.
    Follow the path above to find the problem...

LeftDoor.jpg

My VIN:    03572

The diodes don't have anything to do with lighting the door lights. Those diodes are just to drive the dome lights when either door is open. Test that your door light socket has 12 volts on one side. The other side will get grounded by the door switch when the door is open.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Also check for mice. This was why my passenger side wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You have that backwards- The buzzer switch has the PW and PU wires. The switch for the left door lights are PU and B.

Fuse 12 feeds power to one side of the door bulbs with a P wire. The other side of the left door bulbs is connected to the PU wire (which taps a diode, but is not needed for the switch to turn the left door lights on...) and goes to the switch. When the switch is activated, it connects the PU wire to ground via the B wire, making the bulb come on.
    Follow the path above to find the problem...

LeftDoor.jpg
    You are correct! I had them backwards. They are now all working. However, this may lead to another question. Are the two courtesy lights, when tilled to one side, suppose to go on when the door(s) are open and after a little bit go off? Mine have never done that. They do light when tilled to the other side.

My VIN:    03572

You are correct! I had them backwards. They are now all working. However, this may lead to another question. Are the two courtesy lights, when tilled to one side, suppose to go on when the door(s) are open and after a little bit go off? Mine have never done that. They do light when tilled to the other side.
    Yes both should go on when either door is open when switched to auto on the dome lights. With the OEM dome unit and incandescent bulbs in the domes then there is a delay turning off when both doors are closed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes both should go on when either door is open when switched to auto on the dome lights. With the OEM dome unit and incandescent bulbs in the domes then there is a delay turning off when both doors are closed.
    Mine don't so does that mean the delay relay is shot? If it is would there be any other issues or just those lights going on and off after a little?

My VIN:    03500

Mine don't so does that mean the delay relay is shot? If it is would there be any other issues or just those lights going on and off after a little?
    You can pull out the delay relay. The lights should just go on and off. It is very common to pull that relay when you go with LED bulbs.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    You can pull out the delay relay. The lights should just go on and off. It is very common to pull that relay when you go with LED bulbs.
    Dave B.
    If, when you remove the delay relay, the interior lights do not work at all, check to see if the blue diode is reversed or faulty.
    Ron

Door and Interior Lamp Circuit 02.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast